• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Question in regards to the 2.0L trans

J0sh

Be Gentle I'm New Here
How well does the auto trans hold up to power adders?

I'm really Honda oriented and I know their 4cyl auto transmissions are HORRIBLE when trying to push any power over stock. Pretty much like throwing rocks in a glass house. Basically, I was trying to see if I have run into the same issue here as well.

I would really like to throw on either a roots style supercharger or a smaller turbo kit. I need a little get up and go while on the highway. :crazy:

the ATX in these cars (both 4 and 6 cyl versions) is a POS. they have a tendency to crap out at even stock power levels. adding a dedicated fluid cooler helps but I still wouldnt push it beyond basic upgrades, (intake/exhaust/etc). if you want some more "get up and go" then i suggest selling the ATX and finding a car with an MTX. the MTX, with an LSD instead of the stock diff, can handle a fair amount of power without issues.

I would be willing to bet that the forward clutch, which breaks with regularity on stockers due to improper design, would show mucho problemos when loaded hard. Modifications have been made to soften its' engagement just so will not break parts. Those mods will only work against a hi perf motor. The direct clutch about the size of one (3 frictions on some) on a mid sized motorcycle, it does not inspire confidence either.

Back