• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cam gears

well, if you have them dyno tuned you can gain a decent amount of power. for example, i saw a turbo Focus gain 40HP at the wheels just by tuning the cam gears. obviously you wont gain 40HP on an NA and it must be done on a dyno.

basically, dont bother with them unless you have a fair amount of other mods done and are going to get a dyno tune anyways.

So what is to stop someone from tuning in cams using stock gears??? They are 360 degree full circle adjustable......................

So what is to stop someone from tuning in cams using stock gears??? They are 360 degree full circle adjustable......................

You have no way of knowing haw many degrees you are adjusting the cams with the stock gears.

If you do not use a degree wheel you don't know anyway, cam gear marks mean nothing unless positively verified to the crank..........................you CAN mark your own gears. One could also start experimenting with different (thinner) thickness camtool to rotate cam slot against it cockeyed to positively get a repeatable point in space that could be used more than once.

cam gears make it ALOT EASIER to adjust, rather than being unsure of how far you've turned the cams, or having to remove the valve cover.

You bring up a very valid point about not yanking cover............................I'm just thinking how I might do it and save the bucks from sprockets. Of course one could always use the tried and true method of coat hanger wire turned into pointer, bolted in a hole there close somewhere and used for point of reference.

Wow, 4 whole horsepower. Forgive me, I'm used to getting much more than that, of course the engines were much bigger too. Can you tell me whether they ended up advanced or retarded, or more to the point, the exact timing numbers arrived at? Say, lobe centers?

Wow, 4 whole horsepower. Forgive me, I'm used to getting much more than that, of course the engines were much bigger too. Can you tell me whether they ended up advanced or retarded, or more to the point, the exact timing numbers arrived at? Say, lobe centers?
I also had an ATX. An other member with a MTX got about 8 whp. I couldn't even tell you what I had it set at exactly, that was about 6 years ago...probably longer.

Back