• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

fuel injector question

cetroutt

Veteran CEG'er
after reading about ITB's the the honda and toyota crowd are running and having read some things about ITB's on zetecs in europe i'm thinking that i'd really like to give it a try. but i've read complaints about the stock injectors not being able to keep up with the TB's. so i'm wondering what are the flow rates for stock zetec injectors, the fsvt and csvt injectors and the 3.0 duratec injectors? also are they the same size and do they all use the same style harness connection? i'm aware that there is a lot that goes into ITB's and that there are easier ways to make more HP but i'm not really concerned about that. thanks
chris

stock Zetec and SE Duratec injectors are 17#. stock SVTC injectors are 19lb. 3L injectors are either 21 or 24# depending on the year and model. they do not all use the same style harness. Zetecs use EV1 connectors. all return fuel system Duratecs seem to use EV1 as well, and the returnless fuel system used EV6. now, 24# injectors arent going to be enough to support the kind of power you can get from ITBs. since its going to have to be tuned anyways, i would go with 42# injectors as they will give you plenty of overhead that way (i happen to have a set FS in the classifieds if you're interested).

edit: also, if you are really serious about goin with ITBs then read this thread.
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6523&hilit=Zetec+ITB

i was actually reading that thread when i originally posted this. i also read over on the FJ forum that the SVTF uses 36lb injectors and someone was saying that anything over that is going to be over kill for any modded and tuned NA zetec. being new to modding something with fuel injection this much, i was wondering, would a fuel pressure regulator be of any help if i went with really big injectors? the reason i ask is because i was reading somewhere else about the zetec (non SVT) flooding at WOT with anything larger than 30lb injectors.

an adjustable FPR is a good thing to have. the problem is that you can only use them on return fuel system cars. if you have a returnless car, the fuel pressure is maintaned by modulating the voltage going to the fuel pump. also, FWIW, i never had a problem with the 42# injectors and flooding at WOT, of course i also had a turbo. really, its hard to go to big when it comes to fuel injectors. sure, if you were to install 42# injectors into a Zetec that just had header/exhaust/intake, it would be hard to tune and could cause problems. however if you are going to go with something like ITBs then the difference between 36# and 42# injectors isnt going to be noticed when tuning.

this is good to know. now i just need to learn about tuning with a megasquirt.

hey i was just wondering if a COP setup would be beneficial to a ITB build at all? i've seen it used on F/I setups and i've noticed it on a number of newer v8's, why not the zetec?

COPs will actually be worse than the stock setup. i dont want to get into it here but i, as well as a few others, have posted several times why its not better, in fact can be significantly worse, than the stock setup. in fact, the stock coil is good for several hundred HP.

Back