• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ZX2 Intake and questions

St.Andrew

Be Gentle I'm New Here
First Post, Hello all.
I put a ZX2 intake on my 1996 GL. I swapped out the sensor in the flow meter because of the wiring, but the ZX2's temp gauge was plug and play. The K&N filter needed a small shim to be airtight without the ZX2's filter housing fully closed. I will be modding the intake portion of the filter housing to convert it to a cold air box. I will be piping it out the fender. As of now the filter is open to the engine bay.
I reset the EMS and now it cranks! I'm not betting on added hp, but the sound is way better and the engine is markedly more responsive.

1) Any details on the Focus Underdrive Pulley mod?
2) TB swapouts? Would I see any real gains?
3) Would a ZX2 or Focus have better intake mans and TBs?

the UDP from the focus is basically a direct swap. just buy one with out the belt and go buy a belt from your local parts store. i cant remember the exact length of the belt but get the one thats about 1 inch shorter than stock. just follow the directions that come with the pulley and you should be fine.

TB swaps: not worth it unless your gonna go FI.

intake manifold. IIRC the pre-98 contour manifold flows better than either the focus or the zx2. the amount of time and effort you would put in changing it its not worth it. i do have an extra one if you wanted to try porting it a little but i dont think its really worth it as it breaths really well.

other things:
exhaust - buy a focus shorty (4-1) exhaust manifold and then make a custom 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch full exhaust. or buy an SVT exhaust if you want the duals.
heads - if you want to replace the head get the FRPP one from here and get a nice set of cams to go with it.
Tune - finally you need to get some kind of chip. i think the general consensus is to get the superchips chip and have it dyno tuned.
FI - turbo: have to make your own kit from scratch
SC: the jrsc kit for the focus fits with some modifications.

Tune - finally you need to get some kind of chip. i think the general consensus is to get the superchips chip and have it dyno tuned.

i see no need for the superchip if you are going to have the car dyno tuned which is the best way to go ... the superchip is pre-programmed and isn't the best at all .... you want a Xcal2 and dyno tuning ...

its cheaper to get the chip than the xcal2. you get it dyno tuned at a place that does superchips burning and they burn you a custom chip. same thing as the xcal2 only in chip form.

as for the xcal2 i was unaware that there was a version for our zetecs. if so then that is the better way to go if your willing to spend the little bit extra for it.

true but I never knew that they could dyno tune with a superchip, thought they where pre-programmed for the specific pcm code ... and being generic it isn't great at all ...

if you get someone the knows Ford they can manipulate the PCM itself ...

if the XCAL2 doesn't work for the zetec then they should be able to make it work ... again I think the tuner would be able to grab the stock tune and work from there ...

Thank you both for the info.
Re: UDP from the Focus...
Is it a standard piece on all Focus?

Can you post any pics of the intake? I'm trying to get some materials together to build one with a cold air draw that also keeps the plenum above the TB, and I'm just wondering how you did yours. Also, which focus intake kit was it?

Back