• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ATX to MTX swap, 1998 Contour.

ZX2Fast

CEG'er
My wife misses her ZX2 because this ATX Contour is so slow. She asked me if I could swap it to MTX. I've done this on several ZX2's, even wrote a how-to found at: http://teamzx2.com/showthread.php/119-ATX-to-MTX-Swap

I think I could write a how-to for CEG as well. I don't want to have to make more than one trip to the pull-a-part, so I need a parts list. I know I'll need the flywheel and clutch, are the axles different? What about the crank position sensor housing? I know in the ZX2 the sensors are the same but are spaced different. I'm guessing the Contour uses a cable clutch, what about the shifter? I know I'll need the PCM as well, what about wiring changes? For instance, I have to spice the reverse switch wires and starter safety wires for the ZX2 swaps. Are the block-to-tranny spacers the same? I'm also thinking of adding a small turbo to the Contour. As usual, tuning is going to be the hard part. Would I be okay putting a larger fuel pump in with an adjustable regulator and a MSD to retard the timing? I can't imagine there being any flasher tunes (via SCT) available for this car.

your are going to want a whole parts car to get everything that you need for the swap. look up the threads here and on neco about the duratec swaps from atx to mtx and you'll need the same parts ...

The engine cradle is different between mtx and atx . the harness on your auto could be modified but the computer needs to be changed. Clutch pedal and harness added under dash. Many more parts swapped thats why you need a whole car to make it work well.

It is. That's what I did. I love my MTX Zetec. My auto Zetec was a slug even with all of my mods.

They are also dirt cheap. My MTX Zetec was $800 with no rust.

BP

Seems like it would be cheaper and easier to just buy a mtx contour.

I gave $360 for this car. It only has 140,000 miles on it. It still smells new and runs like a champ. It is surprisingly difficult to find this car in a 5-speed. Also, the cost of the parts from the local u-pull-it will be under $400. It'll only be $40 if I go on '$40 day'. If I could find a MTX with a blown engine or creamed rear-end for $300, I'll do that.

I've looked through other threads and could find no definitive parts list. I did only look in the Zetec threads.

What is NECO? I tried popping it in a search engine and got back a site for the Navy, something about Africa, and something that has to do with national campaiging.

Back