• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

budget build

azusa

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Ok I have a 1998 mecury mystique, and been searching around here for some ideas, this was my first car so before I depart with it in the next year I want to fix it up and treat her right. This car has been used and abused before I got her, so the first thing I did was get new sparkplugs, and air filter, but she is still slow. I am not trying to race her just want some get up and go, I atleast want to go up a hill with out it struggling.

So what could I do to help me out on that. I just want to be able to get up a large hill, with out her about to have a asthma attack.

So I was thinking about getting the CTA air intake, is there like anything thing else i can do like a bigger MAF or something could I take a MAF from like a mustang or something and put it on my car. Then I would like to do headers and a chip so, who should i go with on headers and a chip. Thats all for performance I want to do.

thanks in advance yall.

Honestly if you're going to be getting rid of the car in the next year dont bother with headers or any of that 'indepth' stuff. Maybe just pick up the intake and an SVT exhaust

get you Throttlebody optimized. Try some new sparkplug wires also if the ones you have look crusty.

What mileage and transmission do you have?

There is a header thread I started. The only remaining bolt on header that will fit the Zetec Contour, and there are only 3 sets left. Price is right though...

Clean the MAF. There's a diy somewhere but using a q-tip very gently clean the MAF probe inside the housing. I'm willing to bet that is where a lot of your "struggle comes from. I know it sounds simple but my 98 had a ton of crap on the sensor and therefore always read the air flow wrong. Another "free" mod that hasn't been mentioned in a while is yanking the air intake silencer from the inner fender well. Just drop your drivers side front wheel, and pull the fender lining out. Then commence to removing the plastic contraption that restrics air flow to your car. Sorry but you'll have to search for picks.

Clean the MAF. There's a diy somewhere but using a q-tip very gently clean the MAF probe inside the housing. I'm willing to bet that is where a lot of your "struggle comes from. I know it sounds simple but my 98 had a ton of crap on the sensor and therefore always read the air flow wrong. Another "free" mod that hasn't been mentioned in a while is yanking the air intake silencer from the inner fender well. Just drop your drivers side front wheel, and pull the fender lining out. Then commence to removing the plastic contraption that restrics air flow to your car. Sorry but you'll have to search for picks.

good advice. ive always used residue free electrical connection cleaner on my cars mafs. that way i reduse the risk of harming the sensor, and it works very well. did the resonator delete too.

that will work well for the MAF cleaning. I actually had to physically wipe the sensor with a q-tip to get it clean.

Back