• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine Management = Megasquirt?

raider

New CEG'er
In the archives I saw one response to someone asking about using a Megasquirt system. The response was basically that that system was to convert carbed vehicles to EFI. My research has shown it to be a complete Fuel management system that you could replace the ecm with. I think one version or add-on allows for timing/spark control as well. Has anyone tried this or looked seriously in to it?

I'm not trying to make my 95 zetec a rocket but I do like the idea of managing the fuel and spark as much as I can to get the most from it.

Part 2. The unit does not have any means to control a transmission. Is the AOD unit electronic? Does it have it's own control unit or is it dependant on the ECU?

I don't think that anyone has really looked into the Megasquirt. The reason is because your stock PCM is extremely powerful. There are Focus guys doing 700+HP just by re-programming the stock PCM. Also, the programming software/hardware is pretty cheap. You can get a full SCT xcal2 programmer and the SCT Pro-race software for about $600. Just the xcal2 programmer goes for ~$300. That will let you do basic timing and fuel adjustments.

The Contour either uses a CD4E (automatic) or a MTX-75 (manual) transmission. The CD4E automatic is fully electronic with electronic pressure control. If you don't get the pressure control right YOU WILL destroy the transmission. Also the CD4E is only good for aobut 200ft/lbs of torque. The MTX-75 on the other hand can handle any power that you can throw at it once it is built up.

BTW, you may want to upgrade your wirining harness and PCM to a '96+ unit. That way you will have full OBD-2 functionality. I've heard that the SCT xcal2 will work with a '95 OBD-1 PCM. It's just not as fast and lacks a bunch of features.

HTH,
BP

megasquirt is a complete fuel management system. I've used it for a custom ECU on a motorcycle engine for a FSAE racecar. It's pretty powerfull but takes a lot of work and a hell of a lot of time to get it right.

I'd lean towards what ButtonPuncher said about re-programming the stock PCM.

Thanks for all the input.

98cont-UoG-FSAE
All the work is what will make it interesting.

d c
Thanks. The MEG link looks like it will be good info.

ButtonPuncher
Do you know if the CD4E transmission has a separate controller?

Unfortunately, no. The only thing you may want to research is a Contour/Mystique '95 OBD-1 PCM. It is split in two. I don't know if the OBD-1 PCM just controls the engine functions and the other "half" controls the transmission or what. I'd need a '95 EVTM manual to figure that one out.

If you are really hardcore about getting a ATX, Lentech makes a 4F27E that bolts up to the Zetec. (It is the ATX used in the Focus Zetec.) They sell a version that can be manually shifted. You may be able to interface that to the megasquirt.

HTH,
BP

Thanks Buttonpuncher.

For the record, no I'm not hard core about the ATX. I assumed that changing to to a MTX would be too costly. Some of the posts I have read indicated that swapping a ATX for MTX was expensive enough that if someone wanted a MTX they should just buy a tour with one.

Yep, that's what I did. I overpaid and it cost me $1000 for my MTX Zetec Contour. To do the conversion, you'd need a MTX subframe, MTX-75 tranny, MTX PCM, and a MTX wiring harness. Not to mention all of the other bits and pieces. Just because of the headache factor, it's easier just to buy a whole MTX Contour. ;)

BP

Thanks Buttonpuncher.

For the record, no I'm not hard core about the ATX. I assumed that changing to to a MTX would be too costly. Some of the posts I have read indicated that swapping a ATX for MTX was expensive enough that if someone wanted a MTX they should just buy a tour with one.

Back