• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

exhaust

i know ive read them, good stuff. i just wanted an opinon on that OBX exhaust from ebay. and i dont know very much about resonators, i just wanted to know why people remove them. does it sound better?, does it give better gas mileage? are there any pros to leaving on the resonator?

you would think at least one person in this forum would know what a resenator is.

Based on the following description, Removing the resonator would make a louder, more open exhaust.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonator

A resonator is one part in exhaust systems that works with the muffler to reduce noise, by making sound waves "cancel each other out"[1]. The "exhaust note" is an important feature for many vehicle owners, so both the original manufacturers and the after-market suppliers use the resonator to enhance the sound in some way - in particular so-called "ricers" (North American youths driving generally small pacific rim cars) use resonators on their 4-cylinder engines to give an distinctive exhaust note thats usually tinny yet wobbly sounding, current popular culture is starting to abandon these in favor of normal mufflers with extra large exhaust tips.

I would ditch the resonator, chop the muffler, and replace them with a spintech muffler mounted where the stock muffler had been. Replace the small diameter piping that exited the resonator with the larger size that entered it so that you have a uniform exhaust diameter. The spintech muffler sounds fantastic on our V8s, and pretty much eliminates drone due to the way the internals were designed. I've always wanted to know what it would sound like on a 4-cylinder though...You might look into it.
http://www.spintechmufflers.com/spintech/spintechindex.asp
They've got a whole lineup of products, ranging from super loud to quiet. I'd also try Magnaflow or Borla.

do most people just put a straight pipe in place of the resonator?

in your opinons, what would sound better, a stock muffler with no resonator, or a stock resonator with that OBX muffler?

I didnt. My muffler is in the resonators place with nothing in the stock mufflers place. More pipe after the muffler will usually help get a deeper sound.

when i drove the GL I just put a straight pipe in it's place, and i had a sort of "performance" muffler on at the end of the exhaust. other then rasp while it being cold.. it sounded ok.

Stock res, stock pipe, with fart can on the end sounds great. I'm not being sarcastic, it's the setup I've been running for over a year. Not loud and raspy like the riced out Civics, but definitely a nice deep tone. If you're looking for a better sound and a little bit better flow by removing the stock muffler, but you dont want to sacrifice too much low end power, try it out.

It's also about the cheapest exhaust mod you can do.

Back