• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fuel Pump and FPR - one great mod

I wanted to bring this thread back to life to inform everyone that I just completed this mod. This is definitely a MUST mod to perform after the CAI and UDP on the crankshaft and ODP on the alternator. But I will add a suggestion for anyone performing this mod:

After installing the adjustable FPR, replace the vacuum hose that goes between the intake manifold and the adjustable FPR. I say this because when I use the stock vacuum hose, after setting the recommended psi on the adjustable FPR, the engine started surging like it was suffocating for air. This was due to the stock vacuum hose being a little short. The stock vacuum hose comes in 2 pieces (a 1-foot hose and a small elbow hose) connected together by a connection fitting. So ditch the stock vacuum hose and get a 1 piece 2-foot hose. Connect the new hose directly to the intake manifold and the adjustable FPR. That will fix the problem.

Hey BP, have you ever run on a drag strip? i have an intake, exhaust, hollowed cat, UDP, and gutted back half and i run a 16.989 (have yet to run with the UDP and wider tires), but i was wondering how fast the car runs with the mods you have. Looking for a little more power.

WOW..has it really been 5 months since I was on the forum last? Yikes!

Regretfully, I've never been to the drag strip. My '96 MTX had a leaky oil pan gasket and was always dripping oil. I knew that I would never pass tech. I replaced the gasket last fall but then one of my friends gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. I'm about a week away from selling my Contour. In the year that's passed since last fall, I've completely rebuilt the car. New engine, clutch, flywheel. All of my go-fast parts, everything. Hopefully I can convince my friend to run it at the track sometime in the future.

My '96 MTX was a total stripper model. The only option that it had was power locks and AC. Everything else was manual. Lean and mean. Perfect for MPG and the track.

Later,
Ben

I gotta question. I hear all this stuff about how one needs to go to a returnless system, but that type uses a pump that is sped up and down by the pcm instead of running at a constant speed. Since at least software must be different to do this, how do you young jedis get around that potential sticking point?

You want to go to a return style. Returnless sucks. I think I explained why in this thread somewhere.

To go to a return style, you need a return style fuel rail, a return line to your fuel tank, and need a switched +12V line to the fuel pump.

BP

I'll buy that. Seems to me the pressure would stay more constant with a constant speed pump. Speed ramping up and down should make pump less reliable to me. Pressure regulators work just fine and with few problems.

My major point though was that using a returnless type on pcm with no speed varying could wear pump out faster since that pump not used at 100% load all the time. A bypassing pump also runs more cooling fuel through the pump to keep it cooler.

That adjustable FPR looks like it will work. But I do question the mounting holes on it. It looks like it won't line up with those on the fuel rail of the Contour/Mystique. I would definitely research this potential issue before you buy it.

Will this BBK FPR work? It says it fits the same applications as the one you listed, but its blue and will match everything else under my hood.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BBK-1707/?rtype=10

I was thinking the same thing, but its weird cuz it says it fits the same applications as the one in the original post. I'll look into it some more.

I think it might have a bigger body which is why the mounting holes look so close to the body. the larger body could pose a problem with mounting it on the Zetec.

it was said earlier in this thread that the 98+ has a returnless fuel system? i don't think that's correct atleast not for the zetec. mine has a factory return style system.

I know it has been said that the OEM fuel pressure regulator is not recommended with the Walbro 255lph pump, but do you think it would suffice for a short period of time? I ask because the Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator would likely cause me to fail a smog inspection. I would really like to perform this upgrade, but I don't want to have the remove the fuel pump every time I am required to get my car smogged.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

What all came with the walbro kit? Did you have to buy a separate install kit for the pump? Did the Accel 74562 end up fitting our fuel rails?

There's no kit. You just order the pump. It plugs right in. Al that you need is a good quality stainless steel hose clamp to hold it to the mounting bar.

Just eyeballing it, it looks like the Accell would work. It looks like a modified stock FPR and is non-rebuildable but that not an issue for most of us.

I know it has been said that the OEM fuel pressure regulator is not recommended with the Walbro 255lph pump, but do you think it would suffice for a short period of time? I ask because the Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator would likely cause me to fail a smog inspection. I would really like to perform this upgrade, but I don't want to have the remove the fuel pump every time I am required to get my car smogged.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

You will run pig rich and throw a CEL in short order. The stock FPR was never meant for the flow of a 255lph pump. You might be able to swap the FPR right before going to get it smogged before it has time to throw a CEL.

Get the accell regulator that deyes2 found. No tester will be able to tell that that isn't a stock part.

Also, if you aren't planning on going with a turbo or supercharger, get the 190lph pump. The 255lph pump is LOUD. Anyone that knows anything about cars will know that it's not a stock pump. The 190lph is quiet and very stealth.

BP

Back