• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fuel Pump and FPR - one great mod

ButtonPuncher

Veteran CEG'er
This mod should be #3 on your list.

1.)SleeperZ CAI
2.)UDP (and alternator ODP)
3.)Fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator

It costs about $200 and takes about 2 hours to do. For the 98+ Zetecs, all that you can really do is upgrade to a Focus fuel pump. For the pre-98 crew, you want a Walbro 190 or 255lph fuel pump and an Aeromotive 13102 fuel pressure regulator.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AEI-13102&N=700+115&autoview=sku

(I'll find a link to the fuel pump when I get home.)

This mod brings your Zetec back to life. When you mash the gas, it goes. Also, it gets rid of the flatspot from 4500rpms to redline.

BTW, you do need a fuel pressure gauge to properly do this mod...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00902169000P?mv=rr

Fuel pressure at idle should be 32psi with the vacuum hose connected to the FPR and 40psi disconnected.

HTH,
BP

LOL! Only took me 5 months to get around to posting this...

You want a Walbro GSS317 255lph fuel pump. It's input/output are on the right sides and the same size as the stock pump.

I bought mine from here...

http://autoperformanceengineering.com/html/fppumps.html

For anyone that isn't going for a supercharger or turbo, get the smaller 190lph pump. It is much quieter than the above pump. The 190lph pump is the GSS250.

BP

I've gotta post a pic of the module. The return line has this orange nipple on it. If you leave that in place, the higher volume of returned gas aerates the gas. (causes bubbles) I put an elbow on it so that it just sprays the gas towards the back of the tank.

BP

if i were to use the focii fuel pump which one would i want?
Most people around here say to go with the Focus SVT pump for a returnless car, however it isnt any different than any other 03-04 Focus fuel pump. if you want a pump for a returnless car that works with minimal modification and flows substantially more, go with a Ford GT pump.

The stock one wasn't designed for the flow of a larger pump. Also, it's really cheap for what you are getting. Plus, it is a boost referenced regulator so if you plan on boost in the future, you are ready.

BP

Lucky contour owners get your nice return systems. I'm stuck with my returnless and little I can do other than the pump itself.

Lucky contour owners get your nice return systems. I'm stuck with my returnless and little I can do other than the pump itself.
not all contour owners, just pre98s as I believe Ford went to returnless on the Zetec with the 98 model year (unlike the V6 which was a change in the middle of the 99 model)

not all contour owners, just pre98s as I believe Ford went to returnless on the Zetec with the 98 model year (unlike the V6 which was a change in the middle of the 99 model)
Rephrased:
Lucky pre98 contour owners get your nice return systems. I'm stuck with my returnless and little I can do other than the pump itself.

Pre-98 FTMFW!!! :laugh: :cool:

In spring, I'm changing my Mazda6 to return style. Returnless is stupid. It's only a way for manufacturers to save a a couple bucks. Returnless causes the fuel pump to run hotter, it heats up the fuel, and any air that gets into the system MUST go through the injectors.

BP

Sure! Here's a shot of the FPR and my latest CAI. The picture isn't completely accurate. I've since upgraded to an optima yellow top and relocated my air-oil separator.

BP_CAI_3_top_batt_sm.jpg

If you want to see something specific, I can snap a few pics.

I'll admit... My Contour is a sleeper. Steel wheels, no hubcaps, stock tan paint, no tint. Not much to look at but a heck of a lot of fun to drive.

My mod list was lost when my roadrunner page went down, but I've got a ton of mods. BAT suspension, ATI rear subframe, BAT rear swaybar, rear discs, and pretty much every engine bolt-on.

I have a 2000 Mystique. What pump would work best for my car?? I know I need the returnless pump but I dont know which one is gonna fit my car. I have done some searching and come up with nothing. Is there anyway someone could maybe post a link to the best pump for my car????? It would be much appreciated.

Back