• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ignition Upgrade

volcar

New CEG'er
I am contemplating upgrading ignition of my 2.0L LX 'Tour with ATX by installing a MSD PN 61112 DIS Plus Ignition Control Unit. However, this is a costly upgrade therefore before proceeding I am using this medium to ascertain whether anyone has done a similar upgrade and or any comments as to whether this is a project worth considering.

yeah its really not needed. if you feel you must do something then go with either the Accel or MSD coil pack and the Ford Racing plug wires.

Defintiely go with the MSD coil pack. I had an Accel pack go bad on me. It cracked causing misfires. Others had similar problems.

HTH,
BP

yeah its really not needed. if you feel you must do something then go with either the Accel or MSD coil pack and the Ford Racing plug wires.

I've had a problem finding the Ford Racing plug wires. I have been told that they aren't made anymore.

What does the MSD coil pack do and how much of an improvement is it?

or else you can buy a set to cut yourself from MSD, like a 9mm or 10mm wire. if you are handy, you can make 2 sets with one box because they have 8 wires in them.

oh and i have a MSD dis-4 on my contour SVT. it's costly, and very tricky to wire. if you have no experience in this sort of thing, i wouldnt recommend it. honestly, you dont need it unless you want a timing retard for some reason (mine being nitrous) it's really an upgrade for the time you surpass your stock ignition, which will occur never on a zetec because the motor will most likely never be raised to that potential. the dis-4 works great though, it gives nice low end power, and have many options for timing curve, launch limiters, etc. i backed it up with some ford racing 9mm plug wires and solid core NGK plugs :)

Back