• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Instrument Cluster Swap for Tach

Teal4Banger

CEG'er
Just sharing some info:

I was able to find an instrument cluster with a tach for a four cylinder (has a 4 on it instead of v6) and was able to successfully swap it for the cluster I had. My original cluster only have the big speedo in the center.

The connectors were the same so it hooked right up.

I was also able to disassemble the new cluster and remove the odometer so I could roll it manually to match my current mileage (and no, I didn't cheat and lower it :cool: ). This part was tricky, I had to completely remove the roller and pull the locking plastic tabs apart. I can offer more info if anyone else is needing help with this. - again, for lagit purposes only :) .

Oh, also (almost forgot). You have to remove the speedo needle by pulling it firmly off so the face will come away from the mechanics in the back. This will throw your speedo off unless it is put back on in the correct orientation, which is behind the zero peg. I had my wife drive ahead of me on the interstate with her cruise set so I could put my speedo needle on at that correct speed. Kinda funny method really :eek:, but it worked.

Tach works like a charm now, only about 130 or so rpms low according to the x-cal.

-Teal

Last edited:
Just sharing some info:

I was able to find an instrument cluster with a tach for a four cylinder (has a 4 on it instead of v6) and was able to successfully swap it for the cluster I had. My original cluster only have the big speedo in the center.

I was also able to disassemble the new cluster and remove the odometer so I could roll it manually to match my current mileage (and no, I didn't cheat and lower it :cool: ). This part was tricky, I had to completely remove the roller and pull the locking plastic tabs apart. I can offer more info if anyone else is needing help with this. - again, for lagit purposes only :) .

Oh, also (almost forgot). You have to remove the speedo needle by pulling it firmly off so the face will come away from the mechanics in the back. This will throw your speedo off unless it is put back on in the correct orientation, which is behind the zero peg. I had my wife drive ahead of me on the interstate with her cruise set so I could put my speedo needle on at that correct speed. Kinda funny method really :eek:, but it worked.

Tach works like a charm now, only about 130 or so rpms low according to the x-cal.

-Teal
since you have to pull the needle off to roll the odometer, you can just remove your old odometer from the speedo and install it on the new speedo. works the same only you dont have to mess with trying to roll the odometer. you still have to calibrate the speedo afterwards though.

since you have to pull the needle off to roll the odometer, you can just remove your old odometer from the speedo and install it on the new speedo. works the same only you dont have to mess with trying to roll the odometer. you still have to calibrate the speedo afterwards though.

Yup. There are a few small torx screws holding in the odometer. Take those out, use a set of pliers and pop off the axle for the odometer, and replace with yours :)

A safer, more proper way to remove the needle is by putting 2 spoons on opposite ends of the needle hub, and pushing upwards.

lucky you, alias jerk had a hell of a time getting one for his car and never ended up getting one to work.

This would have been a better way, but this was my first time and I figured if I messed up I would still have my original guage cluster still in tact. For those considering doing it though, it can be pulled apart rather easily and the odometer can be swapped for the original one.

Good point.

This would have been a better way, but this was my first time and I figured if I messed up I would still have my original guage cluster still in tact. For those considering doing it though, it can be pulled apart rather easily and the odometer can be swapped for the original one.

Good point.
im talking about just swapping the whole odometer setup, all the mechanical parts and everything. you litterally undo the 3 (IIRC) screws holding it to the face plate and then putting the new face plate on it. no need to do anything else since its all the exact same other than the face plate. mine has worked like that flawlessly for ~70K miles now :shrug:

Hmm, I wasn't sure if the Duratec speedo was the same, so I used the Zetec speedo, and swapped just the physical odometer. However, in the OP's case, he could have switched the whole entire thing without having to remove any odometers at all and most definitely not had a problem.

Just sharing some info:

-Teal

Did you have to tap into any wires for the tach or is it a direct plug in?

You have to run a wire from the PCM to the tach. It's pin 46 IIRC, it's a white wire with a black stripe, you have to run it to the larger multiplug on the left, to pin 8. Some cars have a green wire near the under-dash fuse box you can use. Do a quick search, I know there's a couple threads about this.

You have to run a wire from the PCM to the tach. It's pin 46 IIRC, it's a white wire with a black stripe, you have to run it to the larger multiplug on the left, to pin 8. Some cars have a green wire near the under-dash fuse box you can use. Do a quick search, I know there's a couple threads about this.

Cool, thanks for the help.

Sorry for the 4 year later bump.
Crap didn't know this was possible....have to take back the pre98 cluster i just bought then. thanks

(Back to the future)

Back