• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

nitrous

okay after i get the problems lined out with my car, shouldnt take much, i need more power!!!!!!!! i cant stand it. its killing me. i know its my daily driver, but im power crazed. i have my project car im turboing the hell out of, but for now i need some fun when i push the gas.

granted i dont need alot of power, but of course im going to squeeze as much as i can. so i figure my quickest, easiest, cheapest way to do so is NAAWWWZZZZ. i plan to build a cold air intake for it, and i will be putting on some kind of header from probably a focus, then full exhaust without a cat im pretty certain of. i have a greddy emanage laying around and figure i can fuel tune with it if i can figure out the rotary settings for this certain vehicle, if not ill sell it for something else.

i plan on using a nitrous express kit or zex, maybe even edelbrock. i know i can trust nx, wasnt sure on the others. but it will be a wet kit and the most ill run will probably run a 75 shot. i will also be doing a compression test and inspect the motor before hand to make sure its okay to do so.

so i was wondering what others were running, and what kind of power you are making.

There are only a handful of people that I know of that have boosted contour zetecs. I know a lot of the zx2 guys do, but there's a huge weight difference there. Whatever you do, good luck with it.

What part of ohio are you from?

OK, the stock Zetec makes 130HP. If you throw a 75 shot on it, you will no longer have a daily driver. At least not one with a working motor. :shocked:

Stick to a 40 or 50 shot at the most. :)

You also will need to be careful with our manifold design. It is WAY too easy to have fuel pool at the bottom. You should really look into a NOSzle system. This is the one I'm eventually going to go with...

http://www.holley.com/08004NOS.asp

50HP for $1000 isn't too bad...

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=NOS-08004NOS&N=700+115&autoview=sku

/Rant on

Huge weight difference!?! C'mon. The stock Zetec 'tour is 2700 lbs. The Focus is

...drumroll please....

2685 pounds stock.

15 pounds!!!! I hate it when people say stuff like that. :mad:

A stipped Focus SVT comes in at 2500lbs. I bet I can beat that with my MTX Zetec 'tour. Easily.

/Rant off

BP

Last edited:
i know i can beat a brand new 05 focus with the 2.0 duratec in it.

ive done it several times (at the track of course:laugh:)

Exactly!

His engine may be 50# lighter due to that all aluminum motor, but I'm sure that shiny new Focus has tons of other crap to offset that. ;)

Heck, my MTX Zetec doesn't even have power locks. :shocked:

BP

no power locks? that sucks mine at least has that.

BTW Ben where you been for the past couple weeks. its really slow around here with out you.

:eek:

I got incredibly sick after the SE-WI meet and my company had a HUGE project that had to get done. I've have been working my a$$ off. I racked up a bunch of OT. The grand opening was today. Time to relax and school the newbies on the CEG. :laugh:

I actually miss the power locks. It's a pain when I've got passengers. The weird thing is that it came with A/C. Why owuld you shave off every friggin option but then get A/C. I just don't get it.

BP

no power locks? that sucks mine at least has that.

BTW Ben where you been for the past couple weeks. its really slow around here with out you.

The Zetec loves n2o. I have ran for almost 4 years (~55k miles, probaly 150 nitrous runs) with a 65HP dry shot on my Zetec. Bumped it up to 75HP a few times with no problems. Oil analysis keeps coming back clean (123k miles on the clock). Haven't even had to replace a damn thing on the car. A little preventative maintenence and knowledge goes along way.

My car is 3200lbs with driver (210 lbs), 1/2 tank of gas, fulll bottle of nitrous, no spare or jack, stock 15" rims, no side skirts, full cloth interior, Optima battery, and no weight reduction.

I stand corrected. :blackeye:

I always thought that you NEVER went over 1/2 the original engine's HP output when using nitrous. It's nice to know that the 'tour Zetec can handle that much.

Have you actually had your Zetec weighed? I find it hard to believe that a stock Zetec is only 50lbs lighter than a fully loaded V6 SVT. I could have swore someone on the old forum had their stock MTX Zetec weighed and it was a little over 2700. Hmmmmmm....

BP

I stand corrected. :blackeye:

I always thought that you NEVER went over 1/2 the original engine's HP output when using nitrous. It's nice to know that the 'tour Zetec can handle that much.

Have you actually had your Zetec weighed? I find it hard to believe that a stock Zetec is only 50lbs lighter than a fully loaded V6 SVT. I could have swore someone on the old forum had their stock MTX Zetec weighed and it was a little over 2700. Hmmmmmm....

BP

I saw no time difference between 65 and 75 HP, so for safety's sake, I kept the 65HP shot. No way I would go over 75HP. The key (I think) is having a chip with multiple tunes. On the nitrous tune (running a bit rich, pulled timing, etc) my car doesn't run to well and the gas mileage is crappy. I did run a 100HP shot twice and it did backfire the second time, lucky I didn't blow my engine.

The Zetec is a fairly robust engine, so why it's rated at 130 HP when it could probably do 150HP from the factory, if it was allowed to breathe better and Ford was a bit more aggressive in the tune and compression ratio.

I have weighed my car on scales at two differernt race tracks. Both times about 3200 lbs. I was surprised. I'm not sure why it's so damn heavy. I know that other Zetec Contours have been weighed in much lighter (Kremits weighed in at like 2800 lbs). I seem to have a freakishly fat car.

Last edited:
thats cool. i thought about the intake design and got a bit worried. maybe a dry shot and some bigger injectors. ive got something for fuel tuning, althought it will be a pain to set up, as its meant for japanese cars. i know the shot seems a bit big for stock engine, but i think if i get it tuned right it should handle it, as it wont be taking that all the time or even a majority of the time.

im just getting really bored driving it around. i dont like the way it looks, so i figure i need something to make up for that. i thought about turbo, but i would have too much down time and then 2 turbo projects. thought about a roots blower (dont like them though, lol) if i could find one cheap enough maybe on a wrecked focus. but that was shot down. so then i thought, well i would like to try out nitrous. i havent had the pleasure of driving a car on spray. driving supercharged and turbo cars.

oh and im on the western side of the state. near lima. i travel to the otherside quite a bit (akron area and zanesville area). also been hitting alliance because i know a guy there with a turbo saturn. i have a friend near zanesville that ive pretty much built his eclipse for (engine and all). currently setting up his intercooler.

EDIT: also did the compression test. not bad, but not impressed for supposedly being a low mileage engine.

#1-170.............#2-175.................#3-180..................#4-175

Last edited:
I'm from the akron area, a bit SW. You said you were interesting in a CAI, good luck with that, you'd be better off getting CTA's intake, more like a short ram but far enough away to not get too much warm air. CTA is thinking of releasing a new one, throw your name on the interest check in this forum.

If you ever get the zetec sprayed, lemme know. I'd love to see it! :)

oh i know about the cai. i was going to make one. i usually get bored so i probably will make one.

im in the process of making my urethane mounts, should say filling. getting mad that i cant shift normal because of dead mounts and a bad clutch. ive got minor plans for it, just make it a bit better.

im trying to keep things cheap, but still come out really good. i have to cheap out on the header, but hopefully i wont have any issues. unless i can find an svt focus around that i can rip header off of and probably have to modify it a bit.

well a second idea hit me for turbo. have to weigh the options and see how much it will cost. but i think im sticking to the nitrous set up.

Yes my zetec weighed in pretty light, but I also had a good bit of stuff outta it. I might can swing by the scale if anyone is interested with how it is now (stock seats back in, some interior pieces missing, and a heavy system in the trunk). 3200 w/ driver still seems a bit high for a zetec. That's about what my svt is. But I think there is something up with contours, none of them are the same. Like you can put a wheel and tire on one and it rub, put same thing on another and it doesn't rub.

Exactly! Ross' SVT was just at 3250 with a driver and half tank of gas, full trim, spare and jack. This is on the fully loaded (sunroof, leather, etc, etc, etc) model.

I'd wish that there were more strict guidelines to building these cars. Something a little less varied. If seen as much as 220 pounds difference in the same model year, same equipment car.

My car at the track weighed 2980 lbs with me in it. This was with no back seat, no trunk floor, jack or spare tire with my lighter Corbeaus.:shrug:

Honestly I think the Zetec would be good with a 75 shot. My car at 140k, stock block, stock ATX (with the addition of the trans cooler) didn't even hiccup at 70 more HP than stock.

If you ran an intake, get some exhaust work, and the 75 shot, PROVIDED that you aren't going through a bottle every week I think the car will hold up. Now there are a lot of variables like how well the car was kept up maintainence wise, etc. I say go for it if you are confident in the car.:cool:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sorry i had to laugh at the last part. ive never felt confident in the car. especially after the scare i got last week out on the highway. it kept shutting down on me. i figured my tach driver was screwed up, so i put it back to stock and had more issues. found my injector harness wires came out of the connector and the connector was seperating on itself. that got me all confused. clutch started it like 8 times in a mile at 75mph, NOT FUN!

so after that i figure i better replace my timing belt before it tears teeth. other then that, this motor has had great maintenance. running full synthetic and getting oil changes at 3,000-4,000. about to replace plugs even though they arent that old (maybe 15,000 miles) and wires. has new fuel pump and filter but im replacing that soon again. constantly gets mmo or seafoam in the tank. has new oxygen sensors, new maf, new iac, will be getting a new clutch before nitrous, has new halfshafts, new tires (but i want some alloys from some year to stick on it for bigger tires).

now that i thought about it, what clutches are people running? i can drive any clutch. i have no problems driving like a 6 puck with a stiffer pressure plate like act. i actually prefer a stiffer clutch as stock is too soft for me. but im thinking something along the lines of a stage 2, as im not sure i need a stage 3, but love the feel. ive driven centerforce dual friction, and burned it to hell in my saturn so i will not run one again! ive driven cars with acts, and love them. i thought about spec, but through saturns and mitsu eclipses, i find your lucky if you get one that works fine and doesnt cause engine damage (may be user error????) so if anyone can help with clutch opinoins and places to check on them about for price, would help.

Back