• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cold Air Intakes For Zetec's (Focus Intakes, Contour Intakes, and Mystique Intakes)

96Mystique

CEG'er
The most popular upgrade for almost any vehicle is the after market intakes. Here's a few that I have found for the Zetec engine. These are for a few different model Fords, but with a few mods, you may be able to fit them on any model with the 2.0 Zetec. Some are essentially the same thing, just different color option, for best matching your ride (If you do choose.)

Several Intakes, not only for the Zetec, but the Duratec as well

00-04 Focus

If this belongs else where, sorry. Just thought I would help out the new comers. Also, on some/most of these you'll either need to drill a whole for the IAT sensor, or go to a parts store, and find something to use for it, that already has a fitting in it. (Refer to njk1's post about installing their intake, and see the pictures. It's the coupler RIGHT after the MAF sensor.

EDIT (7-15-09) : After Almost 2 years, I have removed the invalid eBay links. If you're still looking for one, search for Zetec Cold Air Intake. ( http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr...tec+Cold+Air+Intake&_sacat=See-All-Categories ) Definitely not as many intakes as there was a couple years ago.

Nice info! Some of the prices on those are a little outrageous, but fortunately, there's many options.

Nice info! Some of the prices on those are a little outrageous, but fortunately, there's many options.

I know what you mean on the prices. $100 + on some just for the name. I just bought one (About $35 shipped.) I was looking at some in eBay, and found one that I actually wanted for cheaper, which sucks, but oh well.)

unfortunately, I dont think anybody has tried the actual Cold air kits.

I also would like to say, "COLD AIR INTAKE" means that the air filter is no longer in the engine bay, its relocated to somewhere where its remote cooler air to aid in performance.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-0...001QQitemZ110184376660QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
^THAT is a Cold air intake, however, it is my opinion that due to the differences in engine bay and front end design between the focus and contour, it probably wont work/fit the way its supposed too, it willl probably require extensive modification.

http://www.steedafocus.com/store/Fu...-Zetec---'00-'04---Polished/product_info.html
^THIS^ WILL fit with minor modification, it will require a different hose coupling which you can get at autozone for between the MAF and the pipe for the IAT sensor.

unfortunately, I dont think anybody has tried the actual Cold air kits.

I also would like to say, "COLD AIR INTAKE" means that the air filter is no longer in the engine bay, its relocated to somewhere where its remote cooler air to aid in performance.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-0...001QQitemZ110184376660QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
^THAT is a Cold air intake, however, it is my opinion that due to the differences in engine bay and front end design between the focus and contour, it probably wont work/fit the way its supposed too, it willl probably require extensive modification.

http://www.steedafocus.com/store/Fu...-Zetec---'00-'04---Polished/product_info.html
^THIS^ WILL fit with minor modification, it will require a different hose coupling which you can get at autozone for between the MAF and the pipe for the IAT sensor.

I actually ordered one almost like the first one you provided. And in my 1996 Mercury Mystique, I will find a way to install this, the way it's suppose to be, without extensive modifications, and it will still hold the same value as a TRUE cold air intake. Yes, it may not be the way it was designed to 'flow' through the engine bay like it's SUPPOSE to, but without extensive modifications (Which we are tryin' to stay away from, because the most average people may not have access to the appropriate tools to do these modifications. The second one you provided is not a true cold air intake. The second provided is defined as a 'Short Ram Air Intake' which is NOT the same as a 'Cold Air Intake'. Short Ram Air Intake VS. Cold Air Intake. I know the intakes listed are not for the Contour/Mystique, but I've looked over my engine bay, and I THINK I can make it work, as a TRUE cold air intake. I'm not trying to argue the fact that you are wrong and I am right/you are right, and I am wrong. Just simply trying to cover all basics on the 2.0 Zetecs in several model cars, and the ability to use the air intakes of our choice, at a price that will not hurt our wallets.

Last edited:
he never said the second one was a CAI. in fact he specified that it will work with only minor modification.

he never said the second one was a CAI. in fact he specified that it will work with only minor modification.

Yes, I know he never stated it was a CAI, nor did he specify what it was. I was simply stating what it was, for people who do not know the difference (Which, from searching the forum a little bit, people seem to think that IS a CAI.)

Yes, I know he never stated it was a CAI, nor did he specify what it was. I was simply stating what it was, for people who do not know the difference (Which, from searching the forum a little bit, people seem to think that IS a CAI.)
ah true:blackeye:

Last edited:
I ordered a true cold air intake for a 00+ focus from ebay and was unable to use it - couldn't get it routed like it was supposed to so I decided to scrap it and just go with a modified sleeperz style. :laugh:

i do agree the term cold air intake get's thrown around to liberally. i only see a couple of true cai's in a thread titled "Cold Air Intakes......":shrug:

Cosmo Racing Intake

Cosmo Racing Intake

Hey guys I wanted to let you know that the Cosmo Racing intake sucks big time. I'm trying to return it , because of the issues that I've had with it.. The valve cover connection is way too small and the hole for the MAF is not good. I know I've seen the best one there is out there somewhere on this site but can't find it.

I just bought am '04 Focus SVT for my son that came with am AEM CAI. I will not keep it on the car as it's like driving around a Wet-or-Dry Vacuum cleaner. The filter is in front of the drivers side tire about 6" from the road. Really exposed, he already knocked off the K&N pulling into a driveway. I couldn't imagine going thru puddles..... hydrolock anyone?
I'll either cut it back or get an SRI....

Seems the way to go is either buy an ebay ram air and throw on the BAT extender kit to make it a somewhat CAI, or build your own like a few others have done.

After about 3 months of having miy cold air intake on, I have changed it into a WAI. A lot better response in the mid/high RPM range. A LOT easier to do, with VERY little modifications, if any at all. Easier to clean filter, as you don't have to mess around under the car just to get it out. I do however suggest going with a 3" intake, less restrictive, and gives better performance in everyway over the 2.5". I'm trying to find an air box that will work on the Zetec, as lower RPM range is just drained after deletling the stock air box.

i have a 96 contour gl and i cant seem to find one that will fite it any advice

Back