• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Replacing the muffler

I've been tossing this around also, I'd really like to have a nice exhaust on the car, but don't really know what to go with. Thanks a lot for making this post, it's helped out with my decision.

A cheaper shop should charge round $100 to do it. They just gotta ditch the rear mufflers, add a hanger, and add what bout 6" of pipe after the flex pipe. Glad you went that way. Most of us have to spend on our money wisely on these cars and you only get disappointed if you don't.

I just got lucky w/ the SVT exhaust. I estimated about $100 also and about an hour to do the job. It may show up saturday hopefully early enough so I can get it on the same day.

I've been listening to exhaust clips of it. :drool: I can't wait!

Glad that this topic helped some other CEGers too.:cool:

whatever you do keep the resonator! if you don't you will have a really ricey (raspy) exhaust.

ok so question, by the resonator you do mean the one just before the actual muffler right? Mines starting to rust out and I figured Id just get it chopped off and put a straight pipe on, but if its going to sound like arse, what do you suggest putting in, in the place of the stock resonator?

Yes, the res. is the round canister right after the flex pipe. Some people cut it out and keep the mufflers but this may sound bad. Others replace it w/ a magnaflow res. I'm not sure how much you want to spend on it but an upgrade to the resonator will sound a little better than stock.

ok so question, by the resonator you do mean the one just before the actual muffler right? Mines starting to rust out and I figured Id just get it chopped off and put a straight pipe on, but if its going to sound like arse, what do you suggest putting in, in the place of the stock resonator?
The resonator is the long muffler right under the passenger cabin. If you remove that the exhaust will probably get raspy (probably as in if you have the stock muffler it might not be so bad). If you have a different muffler it will sound like a buzzy 'ricer' honda with a walmart fart can.

Just cutting out the resonator on the stock I4 exhaust doesn't do much for performance or sound. It'll be a little different but not worth spending money. I'd let it just rust out if all you're gonna do is straight pipe it.

About the SVT exhaust, should I:

A) Have tips come out so the car behind you can see the exhaust (not sure if I will like it)
or
B) Have a turned down style (like stock) tips pointing down and barely visible from behind.

I like option B more, but will this affect sound?

My opinion is that unless you have a partial circle cut-out in your bumper, then do the turned down tips. I don't think the straight tips look good when they're slung underneath the straight horizontal line of the bumper.

My thoughts exactly. If I had an SVT bumper, I would have the tips coming out the rear.

Thanks for the help guys. I should be getting the exhaust next week sometime. Woohoo!

IIRC you said you liked my exhaust. It wasnt too loud and all I got was a cheap-o Fireball can muffler off of ebay.

I say get a magnaflow or flowmaster muffler and just replace it with the stock one, dont change any other pipeing. Wont be too loud and should give you what you are looking for.

If you do come across an SVT exhaust, do just what you said you would. You wouldn't be happier with anything else.

I just got lucky w/ the SVT exhaust. I estimated about $100 also and about an hour to do the job. It may show up saturday hopefully early enough so I can get it on the same day.

I've been listening to exhaust clips of it. :drool: I can't wait!

Glad that this topic helped some other CEGers too.:cool:

What clip, what kind of freakin' idiot would install an SVT exhaust leaving the stock resonator but removing the mufflers......

Point me to this moron so I can slap him upside his ricer-@ss head!!!!!!

You know bk, you did the exact same thing in the other forums w/ a very similar post.:laugh:

For those who are wondering, I have clips of BK4293's previous exhaust system(SVT, no mufflers.) Three of them actually.:drool:

Whoooo meeeeeeee???
Hey man, if you have the links from www.ChicagoCEG.com of my exhaust videos, feel free to post them here.

If not I'll look for them later and post them for the world to drool!!

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Alright ladies, here's the vids of my old Zetec.
1999 Ford Contour 2.0 Zetec ATX
SVT Contour Exhaust with the stock ford resonator in place, but both mufflers removed. CTA Motorsprts Intake and some other goddies, more aestetic than go-go.

For the record, you guys debating on whether or not to get the CTA Motorsports intake that Chris posted about in this section...Just do it. It's a definate HP, Look, and sound quality booster and CTA has always been high on my list of great customer service. Now on to the videos....

Little More Than Idle

Revving Motor, Bouncing Off Of Rev Limiter

Ricer Fly By - Check Out M!key Boy At The End

Last edited:
Back