• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Replacing the muffler

KerryKool

Hard-core CEG'er
Yes, I read the entire exhaust page on the old forums and still need to determine which muffler I'd like better. I narrowed it down to Flowmaster and Dynomax. I'd like a throaty sound and/or burble to it, but not to loud. Do you think this is possible with stock piping? I say this cause I don't want to spend to much at one time, so I can change it if I want to later. If I was to find a SVT cat-back locally, I'd just delete the mufflers and add tips. But no luck so far.

Also, whats the diameter of the stock piping? 1.75?

Need some input. Thanks. -KJ

i personally think Borla gives a much better tone. you could also just remove the muffler and put on a Monza big bore resonated exhaust tip.

The only problem I have w/ Borla is cost, but you do get what you pay for. I've never heard about Monza res tips before, any sound clips?

The res is staying unless I decide to replace it also.

MAGNAFLOW......trust me when I say this. I have tried just about every different muffler except for Borla.:laugh:

Would Magnaflow sound nice with a stock setup though? And I see too many people w/ Magnaflow mufflers, but if it sounds good... maybe.

When did you have the magnaflow on Hector? Pre-headers or post?

Stock exhaust is 1.75", correct?

I had headers when I had the Magnaflow. BUT we have a Magnaflow catback on our Mazda 6; perfect sound....:drool:

With Magnaflow you can't beat the price and especially the quality. You will not be disappointed with it.:cool:

Trust me, Flowmaster sounds like crap on the Zetec. It was on my car literally like a week. Dynomax made a nice race muffler that fit where the resonator resides.;)

I guess I'll try out magnaflow then. Any suggestions on which one? Round, oval, dual tip, etc. I'll order it from the main site.

Damn, I'm up late.

I agree w/ striker about the dual tip on one side. One exit would be best.

Now the big bore res tips, do you just add it to the existing exhaust or cut the muffler out. I like how cheap it is, so if I don't like it I can try something else. How does it sound?

The dual tips on one side is a European look. It looked really good on my Tour....doesn't look like I took pics.:help:

A few questions before I buy:

1) Do I get 1.75" or get a bigger diameter so an upgrade(pipes) is easier later on? If so, what size?

2) Should I try ebay for better prices? I don't know if they have fake mufflers out there.

3) Bolt on or weld on? I'd take it to a shop if I should weld.

mine is a modified V6 exhaust 2" over I4's 1.75
then it goes in to a 2 1/4 dynomax super turbo muffler and a bosal brospeed tip

quiet at idle and has a healthy grunt during acceration

A few questions before I buy:

1) Do I get 1.75" or get a bigger diameter so an upgrade(pipes) is easier later on? If so, what size?

2) Should I try ebay for better prices? I don't know if they have fake mufflers out there.

3) Bolt on or weld on? I'd take it to a shop if I should weld.
Get a bigger size....exhaust shop will be able to reduce the muffler into the stock pipe.

Weld......not really any bolt on mufflers.

Don't do Ebay. Get a Magnaflow.:cool:

Thanks for all the help guys. Just one more question:

Dual turndown tips, dual tips, or single? I like the look of the single but dual might look good also.

This is going to be my setup until I can get a hold of a local SVT exhaust, which might be awhile.

Thanks again.

Get the svt exhaust w/o mufflers. Even if you gotta get it shipped or whatever. Anything else will just be wasting your time and money. Nothing sounds better.

Get the svt exhaust w/o mufflers. Even if you gotta get it shipped or whatever. Anything else will just be wasting your time and money. Nothing sounds better.

I know and I posted an ad in the classifieds. If I get a response by the end of the month(when I buy the muffler) I'll do it instead.

Nevermind, Hotdimmes is getting rid of his SVT exhaust cause it won't fit. Sweet!

Now cut off the mufflers and replace w/ straight pipe, right? Can any guess an estimate of how much a muffler shop might charge for doing that. I'll call around, maybe find a deal.

Edit: 1,000th post!!! I'm hardcore now!:laugh:

Last edited:
Back