• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

help!!

Stickers! Lots and lots of stickers!!!! :laugh:

Optimized TB, headers, exhaust, UDP. Thats all I can think of at the moment for long term HP increase. Maybe even lighter wheels and ditch any extra weight you don't need.

Short term: Nitrous

what esle can I do to this to get more hp! I need some mods

Swap in a 3L and ditch the 4. Or just buy a Contour with a V6 and take off what you can from this car and swap it over. Seriously I went this route when modding out my Camaro (I dumped 14k into that car that originally had a V6, and I could have bought an IROC-Z for 2k more then I bought my car for)... just save your money man. It's not worth it. For the mods you would have to buy to make any decent power you could buy an SVT Contour or even something faster for less money I can almost guarantee it.

Swap in a 3L and ditch the 4. Or just buy a Contour with a V6 and take off what you can from this car and swap it over. Seriously I went this route when modding out my Camaro (I dumped 14k into that car that originally had a V6, and I could have bought an IROC-Z for 2k more then I bought my car for)... just save your money man. It's not worth it. For the mods you would have to buy to make any decent power you could buy an SVT Contour or even something faster for less money I can almost guarantee it.

I hate it when people say this... not to diss or anything...

The point of modding a car is putting a personal touch into it. I mean... My contour was an I4 I put rims on it, Se skirts, a sweet intake and a basic exhaust on it and EVERYBODY knew whose car that way. When I went to sell it everybody I knew was upset because they associated that car with me. You dump all of your cash into a new car that you cant mod its like "So what? it looks like every other SVT contour on the road" or you can mod it and make it fit your personality so people look at that car and think of you. Sure if he dumps that amount of cash into modding it, it will be just as fast as a stock SVT contour. But it will look cool because its modded and different from every other average joe contour on the road.

Plus zetecs own all.

I hate it when people say this... not to diss or anything...

The point of modding a car is putting a personal touch into it. I mean... My contour was an I4 I put rims on it, Se skirts, a sweet intake and a basic exhaust on it and EVERYBODY knew whose car that way. When I went to sell it everybody I knew was upset because they associated that car with me. You dump all of your cash into a new car that you cant mod its like "So what? it looks like every other SVT contour on the road" or you can mod it and make it fit your personality so people look at that car and think of you. Sure if he dumps that amount of cash into modding it, it will be just as fast as a stock SVT contour. But it will look cool because its modded and different from every other average joe contour on the road.

Plus zetecs own all.

WERD!!:D quite hatin

Point of modding a car is to make it perform better. Aesthetics and people associating the car with you:shrug: can come second or third or last. And point is, a contour is too heavy for a NA zetec. Though yes you can mod them if it makes you feel happy that people associate you with a slow waste of money (unless of course you actually made it fast).

Zetec is a strong and RELIABLE engine. It becomes more of a potent engine with boost.:cool:

Lots of ways to build power. Easy and cheaper way: weight reduction, UDP, header, 2.25" exhaust, custom chip, and high flow cat. If that still wasn't enough nitrous would be a good addition. This would definitely keep the cost down.

If you have some money to spend, a custom turbo or using the Focus Jackson Racing supercharger will fit the bill. On my Jackson Racing supercharged 2000 ATX on my "Stage 1" I made 160HP to the wheels.

Don't let the SVT lovers here tell you any different. Your Zetec WITH MODS will be a reliable fun car that will take abuse day in and day out. :cool:

Don't let the SVT lovers here tell you any different. Your Zetec WITH MODS will be a reliable fun car that will take abuse day in and day out. :cool:
That's true but with SVTs costing next to nothing, you end up spending more money getting a zetec up to the hp level of a svt, and then you still don't get any of the other stuff (interior, body stuff, suspension) that comes with a svt.
It doesn't matter to me what this guy does, I just wish somebody would have told me before I started modding my zetec that I shouldn't have. A few years later and I was able to buy a svt for less than what I paid for my zetec. And I don't care what badge it has or engine name,etc. but the fact is a svt is the best option for most contour owners (except those willing to drop a lotta money into one). No reason to sugar coat it.

I hate it when people say this...

I do too. The way I see it is if you like the car you have and want to mod it, by all means go for it. I dont care if my car never has the power of a stock SVT. If I wanted big power I never would have bought a Contour.

I put my money into suspension and little mods most people would never notice because I like subtle cars that dont stick out.

Then again my car still has the stock water pump and wont kill itself on a long turn..... No offense :)

Zetec is a strong and RELIABLE engine. It becomes more of a potent engine with boost.:cool:

Lots of ways to build power. Easy and cheaper way: weight reduction, UDP, header, 2.25" exhaust, custom chip, and high flow cat. If that still wasn't enough nitrous would be a good addition. This would definitely keep the cost down.

If you have some money to spend, a custom turbo or using the Focus Jackson Racing supercharger will fit the bill. On my Jackson Racing supercharged 2000 ATX on my "Stage 1" I made 160HP to the wheels.

+1 with hector.

That contour is legendary around here. I wanted to buy it off of him but funds didnt quite allow that to happen. Hector, IIRC the compression on that Zetec even at 145K miles was absolutely perfect wasnt it?

THIS is why I love zetecs, Yes a duratec can last 200K miles. But only if you baby it its whole life. a zetec can push 200K miles and you can be hard on it, the only thing wrong with my old zetec at 135K was the hydrolic lifters, which made a cute little knocking noise when the engine was cold... Whop de doo, this is normal of any engine with hydrolic lifters after about 90K miles. The car did it ever since I had it at 100K.

My zetec and duratec have bout same milage with the zetec making more noise and less power. 130k miles each I won't complain bout either.

Duratec will make it 200K, IF you baby it?

There are QUITE a few out there with that much and many more getting close that were pushed, and pushed HARD. RAGGED EDGE hard.

Its all in the care you take of it. You simply can't avoid any maintenance AND expect it to last forever. If it does that, then you also can't expect it to produce any notable power throughout that same period. You can have two of those.

power
maintenance free
longevity

Duratec engines are robust, hardy, and produce power. Treat it like you SHOULD treat any engine (with respect to maintenance) and you will be fine.

+1 with hector.

That contour is legendary around here. I wanted to buy it off of him but funds didnt quite allow that to happen. Hector, IIRC the compression on that Zetec even at 145K miles was absolutely perfect wasnt it?

THIS is why I love zetecs, Yes a duratec can last 200K miles. But only if you baby it its whole life. a zetec can push 200K miles and you can be hard on it, the only thing wrong with my old zetec at 135K was the hydrolic lifters, which made a cute little knocking noise when the engine was cold... Whop de doo, this is normal of any engine with hydrolic lifters after about 90K miles. The car did it ever since I had it at 100K.
Yep compression at 140k was damn near perfect.:cool:

Hey,

either way they're both reliable so who cares. We all love our cars. I have a zetec, I love it. I want an SVT. OK. But, i will never sell my car.

Back on topic.

Camshafts, exhaust, cam gears, chip, weight reduction, supercharger, bigger fuel injectors, better fuel pump, headers.

Whatever fits your budget. STuff is expensive. Just ask yourself Is it worth it? and weigh the options. I am going to get headers in the summer and yes I can wait. One day I would like to supercharge it, i think it would be a major accomplishment and then get it tuned.

0.5 liter difference is easy to beat. It can be overcome with 3.5psi of boost or a FRPP head and cams.

Too bad (almost) everyone on the Zetec forums is f'n broke. :blackeye:

I can't wait til Ohsigmachi gets his turbo Zetec monster up an running. The 3L guys won't know what hit them. :drool:

BP

0.5 liter difference is easy to beat. It can be overcome with 3.5psi of boost or a FRPP head and cams.

Too bad (almost) everyone on the Zetec forums is f'n broke. :blackeye:

I can't wait til Ohsigmachi gets his turbo Zetec monster up an running. The 3L guys won't know what hit them. :drool:

BP

i cant wait to start my build up. im looking at about 200-250 at the wheels.

Back