• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Valve cover gasket- Rubber?

zetec_rookie

New CEG'er
I have a 96 GL silver top, and I'd like to take the valve cover off to paint it. From what I've researched the gasket is a rubber gasket.

My question is, do I need to replace the gasket?? The parts guy at Canadian Tire told me that if its rubber I probably don't have to replace it, said he did the same on his sunfire...
I know really I'm best off replacing it, but if I can save 30$ ill do it, call me cheap if you want :laugh:

I figured I should get some opinions before I pulled the cover off.. and yes I searched the forum looking for someone else who asked this simple question to no avail...

Any help would be appreciated

If its been on there for a long time you should go ahead and replace it or it will almost certainly start to leak (typically down onto the spark plugs causing misfires). If the gasket is fairly new then you can probably get away with not replacing it.

Correct - excellent advice. Forsake the current luxury (brew, or whatever) and come up with the $$ for the replacement valve cover gasket set. Your labor is worth something, and as striker2 pointed out, it will most certainly leak if you don't replace it. Why redo a maintenance job when there is no need to? Smart of you to ask these questions. Being a slow learner, I would repeat tasks 2 or more times until I got it right. Of course that was in the day before internet.

If gasket has only been on for say a week you can reuse it, past that it hardens from heat and no way can you reuse it, don't care what that guy said. Like a tire mech is even competent to say. You'll know when you yank it, commonly they melt to head and then stick so well you tear it removing cover.

The rubber only rises back to full thickness when brand new, the more times gasket has been heated and cooled, the less it swells back up when released. Sounds like in your case there is absolutely no way you'll get by without buying a new one.

amc49 - what you say is basically correct. I have though seen a valve cover gasket installed less than a week, and due to excessive engine heat, it was rendered useless. Not common, but nonetheless. Also not ALL (but agree, most) tire guys are not able to make a call regarding valve cover gaskets. For all you and I know this tire guy wrenches on his 'Tour on the weekends!! Just saying.

You are correct sir. Just playing the averages. If gasket has been off/on five times for problems then no most likely it will not be reuseable tomorrow. They only accept a certain amount of squishing out of shape to seal then stop to leak depending on your skills.

And tire guys????!

Don't get me started, once there it is very hard for me to stop. You understand of course.......................

You are correct sir. Just playing the averages. If gasket has been off/on five times for problems then no most likely it will not be reuseable tomorrow. They only accept a certain amount of squishing out of shape to seal then stop to leak depending on your skills.

And tire guys????!

Don't get me started, once there it is very hard for me to stop. You understand of course.......................

TOTALLY following you and in agreement with you on ALL comments you make!!! Thanks for your response!!!

Back