• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

VCT concern/confusion

jbarner

CEG'er
So i've read through quite a bit on VCT (my timing belt went out yesterday) within the Zetec world on all the different car forums, and some say you have to take special steps to get the VCT to "dead stop position" while others just say to do the timing belt removal/installation as if it were a non VCT engine..

I am confused on what has to be done, or if it has to be done, in terms of the VCT itself on the exhaust cam..

A lot of mentioning goes into turning the exhaust cam until it hits full stop - and that's the main area I am confused on, seeing as you are supposed to loosen the cams, such and such.

Do I TDC the engine against the pin, loosen the cams, and then just rotate the exhaust cam with a wrench towards the radiator until it stops - and then put the cam tool in place at the driver side of the cam? This is what I am getting from what I have read, but I have never done this before so I have no idea if its correct.

Any sort of help/insight into the VCT "resetting" or just proper timing belt installation on a zetec engine with VCT is much appreciated..I have a 99 ford contour BTW, forgot to mention explicitly :p

It seems to me that the cam phaser does not "phase" unless there is oil pressure - so as long as you aren't trying to time the engine while it's running, the cam's already at dead stop.

I know the SVT Zetec is a little different, but the VCT works the same way, mechanically. I timed the SVT just like there was nothing there. Lock it, loosen the bolts, install belt, set tension, tighten bolts, go. And it's an interference engine, where your Zetec is not.

Thanks, will be tackling most of this job today after work (hooray for back-up motorcycle for transportation...)

I am going to take a look at the supposed line up hole for the VCT gear on the exhaust cam shaft and make sure that is aligned and proper as I am going to replace the camshaft seals, besides that i'll take your advice and just go through the normal procedure. When I was spinning my pulleys last night, I think the mechanic prior just replaced the timing belt and no other components which is probably why it failed so prematurely...hopefully this time around it'll go the full distance :)

The VCT TRIES to stay at dead stop but cannot, when motor is turned while timing it, the exhaust falls away from the VCT stop from valvetrain friction since there is no oil pressure to hold it in place with engine stopped. You have to manually pull it back up to the stop every time you roll around to recheck timing. Why I never loosen the exhaust cam sprocket, it preserves the original setting, car ran before and will run perfectly after. Loosening the sprocket is only to allow the VCT to spring up to the stop, if you know how to bring it up by hand then you can install belt without loosening sprockets. I have no trouble doing it at all.

If someone just replaced the belt then probably set it too tight. That makes enough belt friction to walk, belt then edge rides to fray and fail. People just cannot get it in their heads just how little tension these need to last forever. The belt runs nowhere near as tight as the serpentine does. With VCT you can pull the belt off by hand, I've done it. Yet it stays in place forever running............

Back