• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Motor or trasmission mount's (It's probably a stupid question anyway)

jk1w

New CEG'er
Well I have a problem, under acceleration or quick deceleration (letting go of the gas and no brake) I get a very physical thump from either the motor or transmission mount, but other wise it runs normal the car doesn't bounce or anything out of the ordinary.

So I looked under the hood the mount under the intake box looks good, but the passenger side looks like crap, I haven't looked at my roll restrictors yet. But could the passenger side be the problem?

Attachments

• IMG_20130618_151440&.jpg
    IMG_20130618_151440&.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20130618_151446&.jpg
    IMG_20130618_151446&.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 0
if the mount will allow the engine to move to a point that it will contact another metal object it will cause a noise, I can't comment on your mount condition because your links don't work, might I suggest using Photobucket, they provide links for forum use to put the picture on the thread.

Also it ain't a noise is a physical thump, like someone kicked you in the rear and your able to recover quickly but still your like wtf lol

I would check on the condition of the roll resistors as well, that mount looks no worse than mine and when I put a pair of pole120's poly mounts in it stopped making noises on acceleration. I would go out on a limb and say the roll resistors are completely shot causing the thump you feel when they go all the way up or down and the metal inner piece meets the metal outer piece.

Ok, when I get a chance, I'll get under neath and see whats up. I looked at pole120 website, and he only makes mtx poly filled, mines a atx. Is there really a difference between mounts? And I just saw on another page he doesn't do post 98 :shrug:

oops, sorry didn't know that, and yes I do believe they are different. Mines a 98.5 and his stuff works for mine, the chassis is the same between the two besides a few parts like LCAs, a couple body parts, and some interior stuff.

That pass side mount is fine, they show up bad at idle in gear and then vibrate everything at that time. Thump you describe I'd lay a dollar on as a roll restrictor, maybe both if you are truly hitting solid. All mounts can change from MTX TO ATX except the pass side one.

@amc49
That does describe other problems present, so I will have to replace the pass mount and I still have to look at my roll restrictor; havent had time lately though.

You can get an idea on if the mounts are bad by putting the vehicle in park and pushing it forward and backwards with the hood open to see if the engine moves a significant amount and if you can hear/feel the thump, and I would say that significant would be more than a couple inches total travel.

Back