• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Member with question about changing cylinder head gasket.

Silvr777

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Hello all. I am a new member and wanted some advice on changing out my cylinder head gasket. I know there is the Zetec maintenance forum but since I am a new member I have to post here first.

I want to change out the cylinder head gasket on my 98 for Contour. Step 5 in the manual says to support the engine with a wood block between the crankshaft pulley and the front sub frame. I don’t think this is the correct procedure for my vehicle. There are metal hoses running on top of the sub frame. Coolant return hoses maybe? And there is not enough space to install a block thick enough not to crack when the weight is put in it.

Would it be okay to jack the car up enough to put a jack stand under the pulley to support it? Or is there a better way to support the engine? Does anyone that has changed out there cylinder head gasket have any advice that would help? Thanks.

I'm assuming that your supporting the engine because your removing the engine mount? If that is the case you can just support it with a large piece of wood on a jack under the oil pan, since you will need to remove the timing belt anyway to get the head off. the lines are power steering lines btw.

Yes. A piece of 2X4 about 12 inches long is perfect. Don't use jack by itself, the local stress of the small pad can break or crunch oil pan. Spread the load out with the piece of wood and twist it to just miss any oil drain bump-out so wood sits flat against pan. It'll work like that all day long.

I prefer to never lift by the crank, done wrong headed one could easily bend a crank that way. You can if you are delicate but not best practice there.

Back