• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Synthetic only for zetecs?

Eric2.0

CEG'er
I read someplace that the Zetec 4cyl are designed by Porche and require synthetic oil, not regular oil.

Is this true??

I'd say synthetic oil was pretty scarce and expensive back in the old days when they started selling the Zetec, so a very tiny percentage of them used it.

On a similar subject, back when I first started driving, I used Arco Graphite oil in my Chevy Chevette. That stuff was UNBELIEVABLY AMAZING.

Wow, someone who knows what that stuff was. I used to sell it at Chief Auto Parts in late '70s. Wish I had a couple bottles of it, it made excellent bike fork oil.

As an aside I run straight 30 conventional in my Contour and two Foci, and can't seem to break them......................

No vehicle has to have synthetic. Regular oil is just fine as long as it is clean and correct weight for the engine.

This is not entirely correct. You should see what Porsche has had to say for over a dozen years regarding the use of synthetics in their engines - one MUST use synthetics.

Nowadays lots of other makers saying that too. Many trucks specify syn oil now.

Manufactures specify syn oil only because of life, a syn oil will last longer then conventional oil. The only time you have to use syn oil is when the car is under warranty and the manufactures says to use syn. I know my buddy's BMW has to have syn because if he puts anything else in it and the engine goes they won't warranty it.

You are both very correct. Now the question isn't so much "syn only for zetecs", but "what is the advantages of using syn in zetecs, long term". I do NOT push my '95 zetec w/MTX-75 hard in any way, shape or form. I have had her since 38k miles. I am currently coming up on 179k miles. Run Mobil syn since first change in oil & filter, as did previous owner. Intervals at 5k ~ 5.5k miles. Still get's average of 32 mpg, mostly highway driving, 75 miles per week day (daily commuter). Would I change to anything else - NO. Would I do it differently a second time around - NO.
Each to their own. Just a data point.

As a different data point.

I had my 95 Zetec w/MTX from 86k to 228k over ten years. I changed the oil every 4k miles using conventional oil. Heard from the new owner that it has over 250k on it now and was getting 34 mpg driving from FL to CT on the highway. I was still averaging around 28 mpg, iirc.

And I did push the car.

All comes down to maintenance. I keep the same schedule as my '95 Tour with my '86 VW GTI (1.8 high compression, 5 speed close ratio). It WAS pushed hard, and started at 89k miles with Mobil 1. Ran many SCCA events over the years (starting in 1995 and ending in 2003). Currently has 531k miles on original engine. Still gets up and goes and averages 30mpg. Showing 135 on all 4 cylinders. Head has NEVER been off. So, again, each to his own.

And the lesson here is?

And the lesson here is?

Pretty much for a car driven within the normal range (a pretty wide range) oil is oil. You can put lipstick on the oil can and charge $16 a quart or $3.50 a quart. If you change the oil at reasonable intervals, you'll never notice the difference except in your wallet. (and if you are driving a contour, either you are a stingy person like me, poor, or ??????????) Now those folks who try to rationalize that the syn oils allow much longer changes, it depends. If you drive long distances and are able to get the car to operating temp, then probably. But over 4x miles between changes? As for people like me who live in a small town, short hops, rarely at operating temps, the no more than 5 K and that is to flush out the water and acids that are not burned off as long distance driving will do.

Maintenance is maintenance. How/when you do it, and with what products is your call. The extra cost associated with a premium oil (no, oil is not oil) is insignificant in the grand scheme of things when the labor cost are 100% mine alone. Do as you will, but to state oil is oil is a very narrow view, IMHO. I am sure we can each find followers of our respective view points.

Back