• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

timing belt/water pump

o0carter0o

New CEG'er
i know it's been asked over and over again in these forums but i'm having a bit of trouble sifting through all the threads and all the replies. so here it is probably for the bajillionth time...

96 contour 2.0l zetec

pretty sure i've got a bad water pump gasket so i've begun the process of replacing the water pump. is there a way to get the crank shaft serpentine pulley off without pulling the starter to hold the flywheel in place?

obviously the timing belt cover needs to come off and from what i can see so does the timing belt as well. is there a good walkthrough already posted in the forums? maybe some diagrams or pictures? if not then i guess i'll document everything and post it when i'm done.

Just an air wrench

Just an air wrench

Go borrow or rent a 1/2 inch electric or air (if you have a compressor) impact gun and the appropriate socket. That'lll pop that cranshaft bolt in no time.

I can't imagine wasting time pulling a starter when you can use an impact wrench. I can pretty much promise you that NO ford tech has ever pulled the starter motor to take off the cranshaft bolt.

Back