• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Drained the gas tank, now what?

mcasdorph

New CEG'er
I had a theory after my mom's car sat for 9 months and ran funny, that there was water in the tank from condensation so I added HEET and that didnt seem to work well so I decided to drain the tank, I bought a cheap Pennzoil Siphon Pump from Walmart (do not buy it, it is ••••), the hose was too short, but I got to thinking of other ways, I didnt want to drop the gas tank to empty it, so I started to think, I remember a few weeks back when I changed the head gasket, I remembered on the fuel line the fuel pressure release valve just before it connected the fuel rail, I noticed there was a tire compressor in the trunk so I cut the hose and used the tire connector part to hook my siphon line to the pressure valve, got in, started the car up to run the fuel pump and it filled my jugs up, got 4 1/2 gallons out and it died, so now that the pump isn't picking any fuel up how much is left?, should I add more HEET and refuel?

really you should have just dropped the tank so you could clean it out while it was out. but since you did it the way you did and you have run the car out of fuel i would just fill it with a tank of premium, a bottle of heet (i use the red bottle) and a bottle of injector cleaner. you also might want to change the fuel filter.

Yeah, well today I looked at the jugs today and sure enough it was in the bottom of every one, we put red iso-HEET in it this time and 5 gallons of gas and it seems to be running better.

if you have that much water in the fuel you really need to change the fuel filter too.

Back