• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Radiator drain/flush 97 Zetec 2.L

Sudzy

CEG'er
Well, I have looked and I cannot find a specific answer to 2 questions. I need to drain my coolant and I have to do it myself. (da m) :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I need to know if the splash shield has to come off? (it does according to Clinton's) :confused:

And, does the car absolutely need to be raised/set on stands in order to reach the peacock? I'm terribly small and was hoping I could squeeze under the car without raising it. any chance :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Thanks , Sue

Ive found that the best way to drain the coolant on the Zetec engines is to actually skip the radiator petcock and simply disconnect the heater hose that runs under the engine along the passenger side of the subframe. right near the engine is a spot where the rubber hose from the radiator connects to a metal hose that goes around behind the engine, this is actually the lowest point in the system. I would highly recommend raising the car and removing the passenger tire to do this though so as to not get any coolant on yourself.

Thank you Striker , Ill do it just as you suggest. I'll find pics so I know what I'm looking for.

sudzy where r u located. I might be able to do one at my school with our flush machine for free if your in my area.

Oh thanks Jim, but to tell you the truth , I'd rather get under that car than drive thru St. Louise traffice to get to you. Serious. I'm about 140 miles north of you in IL. I see that your by Jeff City...been there.. liked that town alot.

Don't worry about me. If I were'nt 100% positive that I can do it, then I wouldn't.

I do have another question. I've read that disposing of used antifreeze into the sewer system (tolite) is acceptable. True??

Thanks a bunch
S

I do have another question. I've read that disposing of used antifreeze into the sewer system (tolite) is acceptable. True??

Thanks a bunch
S

false. antifreeze is toxic to both people and animals, you DO NOT want to put it down the drain.

false. antifreeze is toxic to both people and animals, you DO NOT want to put it down the drain.

Its actually dependent on the city/county/states laws as to whether or not its legal to poor it down the drain. that said, I always just hold onto it in old jugs until there is a hazardous waste disposal day for the County and take it to them.

Back