• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

No A/C Serpentine Belt Length?

Matt R

Hard-core CEG'er
My A/C compressor is giving me problems, so I'm trying to buy a serpentine belt that will bypass the compressor. I ordered off of Rock Auto, a Dayco 5060805, which is 80.51" long. I installed the belt but it was maybe an inch or two too big; it wasn't pulled tight after releasing the tensioner. I see for non-A/C belts 80.75", 80.25", and another 80.75". What the heck is the correct size? It sucks pulling everything apart and finding the belt doesn't fit.

I see people break the A/C bypass pulley's all the time at work. It would be an ok alternative for the time being, but bypassing the location completely would be best. Not sure about belt length though. Take a string and route it the way the belt goes and measure that.

Like he said, measure it with a string. USE mm

Like he said, measure it with a string. USE mm

When I bypassed my ac on my 4 cyl turd, I got the non ac belt. TOO long. Tried several different belts until I got tired of running to the store. Took a piece of string, wrapped the belt path without the ac pulley and measured the string. Got the correct length first time.thats because everything is made in China now...

Dougssvt. "thats because everything is made in China now... ". What the hell does something made in China have to do with this thread? If you have a problem with Chinese built products, then take it up with your fellow americans. They wanted inexpensive products, so manufacturing went to lower cost markets. The American importers of products built in other countries are also to blame as they specify the product. Sheesh. I lament the export of manufacturing from america, we will soon pay the price for this very short sighted action.

77.5 is the length listed for the Focus Zetec without AC and im pretty sure the routing is the same between the Focus and the 98+ Contours.

That sounds about right. Also, not as simple as just stringing it up and measuring. Zetecs have a touchy tensioner angle and the stringing up process must take up the issue of estimating where the tensioner arm will end up in space while allowing for full belt wear as belt stretches in use. If measured with tensioner at full relief with no belt on it you are already too long.

I second the words that we here are very soon going to eat the end result of all jobs going overseas. We haven't seen the end of this mess yet. There's whole other shoes just waiting to hit the floor. I don't think the American consumer had so much to do with it as the people who run the show do. After all, the loudest preachers that we must stay patriotic are the first ones to sell their companies to overseas interests or go there themselves. It's all about money as it always was, race issues, immigration issues, crime, patriotism, and all other things are a coverup to the real problem which is worldwide class warfare. Notice whenever that subject is brought up how quickly the subject changes. Nobody on EITHER side will discuss it (why would they, they're RICH!). Notice how immigration pops up as the reason for jobs disappearing, yeah, right. Nope, it's more about immigrants soaking up hospital , education and other funding that the rich cannot then get back in tax cuts. Same with the welfare situation. We are being milked like cows. Notice how 1929 depression could not happen until banks allowed to get into stock market, sound familiar? The rich quite frankly let the middle class get too big by letting them share in the wealth, that's all gotta stop now, it threatens the livelihood of their offspring. I especially love the moniker of conservative applied to one of those classes, it's conserve alright, as in conserve (lower immigration, welfare, smaller government, etc.) so I CAN GET IT. Preferably in my permanent tax cuts. The classic textbook cause of a depression is CONCENTRATION OF WEALTH amongst a few. Listen to the last Morgan Chase stock holders meeting where the guy stood up and announced to stockholders they just had the best year they have ever had. That after taking all the bailout money and holding onto that so could invest in stock market speculation instead of redoing the home loans it was provided for. Figures now show that world oil use DROPPED while barrel price went to $140, how?!, bank speculation, that's how. Same thing going on right this second, banks now exert control over 60% of gross domestic product, higher than ever before. Meaning they don't get it, moreso, if that is the reward, why not do it again? How about the CEO of Fiat announcing to Chrysler union that they must get used 'to a new era of poverty', I'm sure that one went over real well. To them this country already pretty much written off, to stay on top they must and are already looking at plans to be selling global enough to make up for the shortfall in wages to purchase most product that used to be produced here. Look how GM just sold more cars in China than here, wake up! If not, the slow guys will be devoured by the quick thinkers, the rich always feed on their own if nothing else to eat. This country is screwed and there is absolutely NOTHING that anyone can do about it now except try to figure out how to adjust your life expectations downward with as little damage as possible to oneself. I really wonder what's gonna happen once it gets obvious that the 2 breadwinner (man/wife) plan cannot work anymore because both together do not make enough to make ends meet. Gonna be some serious lifechanges there..............

When I bypassed my ac on my 4 cyl turd, I got the non ac belt. TOO long. Tried several different belts until I got tired of running to the store. Took a piece of string, wrapped the belt path without the ac pulley and measured the string. Got the correct length first time.

Do you happen to remember the part number? I don't have the time to pull the belt and measure, and then leave it sitting there while I find a replacement. 77.5" sounds right, but I haven't been able to find a part number from a Focus that matches that length.

Dayco 5060775 should be a 77.5" belt. it is also listed as being for a 2000 ZX3 without AC according to Advance Auto.

I don't remember but....

I don't remember but....

If you know how to search (I don't) search on my name and AC belt issues. I seem to remember posting the part number at one time or another.

IIRC, the serpentine belt on the pre98 is different than that of the 98+. I think the alternator is in a slightly different spot. I'm guessing parts stores list the pre98 length for 98+.

I was wondering the same thing on the size, I seen Andres post of the 790K6 belt for non AC, but I have a 97 Contour that the AC compressor seized up on, 2.0L zetec, but when I crossed referenced Autozone's sight they called for a 680K6 or a 685K6. Autozone does also list several options, with different build dates:
This is for 98 Contour 2.0 zetec,
W/AC built from 2/98
827K6
W/ AC built to 1/98
855K6-DURALAST
835K6-VALUECRAFT
W/O AC
805K6

AS FOR MY 97 CONTOUR 2.0 L,
W/AC
735K6
W/O AC