• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

location of PVC valve on 1999 contour 4 cyl

skip15

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I am having the darnest time finding the pvc valve where it is located I have a repair manual but it doesn't explain the location very good can some on help me

thanks skip

it should be on your valve cover.

not on the Zetec. its located in the oil separator which is bolted to the front (radiator) side of the block behind the exhaust manifold/Cat converter. look in the Zetec forums for help on how to get it out. (i posted one way not that long ago)

You pretty much have to unbolt the exhaust manifold to get to the PCV. It is possible to see the thing from under the car but I don't know how easy it would be to remove it.

The good news is that the PCV is only like $2, so have a new one ready to go and once you get to the old one, replace it whether it needs it or not.

I just replaced my PCV 2 months ago. The easiest access to the PCV would be to separate the cat converter from the exhaust manifold, then remove the manifold. You will see the oil separator with a tube attached to it. Pull on this tube and the PCV will come out of the oil separator attached to the tube.

You can also unbolt the oil separator from the block to remove the PCV. The only caution with this method is that if the oil separator has never been removed before, chances are that the gasket will break into pieces upon removal from the block. These gaskets have been discontinued, so the only way to replace the gasket is to go to the junkyard and get a new oil separator.

there is a much better way than either of you 2 suggest. there is no reason to remove the manifold to get to the PCV valve.

quote=striker2]you can get to the PCV valve easily with the heat shield removed and by removing the thermostat housing. with the housing removed you can get to the bolt that holds the metal tube from the PCV to the block (supposedly you can get to this torx bolt without removing the housing but i never figured out how). remove that bolt and then pull the tube away from the block and then you can reach back and grab the PCV valve.[/quote]

chances are its probably time to change the coolant anyways. not to mention you dont have to deal with the rusty exhaust bolts.

there is a much better way than either of you 2 suggest. there is no reason to remove the manifold to get to the PCV valve.

you can get to the PCV valve easily with the heat shield removed and by removing the thermostat housing. with the housing removed you can get to the bolt that holds the metal tube from the PCV to the block (supposedly you can get to this torx bolt without removing the housing but i never figured out how). remove that bolt and then pull the tube away from the block and then you can reach back and grab the PCV valve.

chances are its probably time to change the coolant anyways. not to mention you dont have to deal with the rusty exhaust bolts.

x's 2 on what he said. it's the fastest and easiest way to do it. there's no sense in pulling off the cat or exhaust manifold unless you installing a header or changing a head gasket.

quote=striker2]you can get to the PCV valve easily with the heat shield removed and by removing the thermostat housing. with the housing removed you can get to the bolt that holds the metal tube from the PCV to the block (supposedly you can get to this torx bolt without removing the housing but i never figured out how). remove that bolt and then pull the tube away from the block and then you can reach back and grab the PCV valve.

chances are its probably time to change the coolant anyways. not to mention you dont have to deal with the rusty exhaust bolts.[/QUOTE]

A question about the above procedure (a clarification, actually); To get to the bolt that holds the metal tube - do you need to remove the entire black plastic housing to reach it? Or is simply removing the front cover of the housing (Just like if you were replacing the thermostat) enough to reach the bolt? If the entire black plastic housing needs to be removed - is there any sort of gasket between the block and this black plastic housing that i'll need to obtain from the parts house prior to removal? Thanks!

yes the whole housing. there is also a gasket (big O-ring) but as long as the housing and gasket are in good condition you should be able to get away without replacing it.

Back