• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

po420 code, + lots of oil in the airfilter

xpdude

CEG'er
Cat doesn't seem clogged, has plenty of power. Airfilter has oil colection, what are the causes, its a new one and has oil collecting, I cleaned the whole airbox... 4cyl ztech, 97 is it a noninterference engine? I think I need a timeingbelt soon. I have new plugs, wires, and what else could I do to improve gas millage? tires are up on air. w/ out ac i get 24 highway and w/ I get 18. The trans threw po1744. Is this why my millage sux? what is avag gas millage for the base 97 gl?

thats really low MPG for a Zetec. i was getting 28 highway 25 city with a turbo. The Zetec is a non-interference engine.

P1744-Torque Converter Clutch System Stuck in Off Position.

thats likely the reason your gas mileage is down. if your lucky its just the TCC solenoid (although i think the trans still has to come out for that) but it could need a new torque converter.

With a header/40% UDP/intake I used to get almost 40 mpg if I was driving right. I had a zx2 which has VCT but still.

Get that issue taken care of asap that gas mileage is horrendous.

Check your PCV system, bad PCV can pump oil in filter housing. Mucho blowby in motor (wore out) can do same thing. Trans does not come out to work on solenoid pack, it's under the front side cover, on top of the main valve body assembly.

Back