• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Completely stumped

pre98zetec

Veteran CEG'er
Been having this problem latley with my other 96', atx, 221k or so.

Compression is in check, fuel pressure is great, new plugs, wires, coil pack off other car. Along with intake setup (cut airbox and my old MAF).

Lean code (p0171), replaced both o2, same code. Checked for vacuum leaks and I can't seem to find any, have not changed fuel filter. Going to today.

Here's the problem. 1/4 throttle, accellerates great, 1/2 throttle, awesome. 3/4 dies down, WOT, completely dead, MAJOR loss of power, does not want to rev.

I can't seem to figure it out. I'm still thinking theres possibly a vacuum leaks somewheres.

I'm changing the fuel filter and the PCV valve today. Not sure if thats whats up.

Any help?

changed the fuel filter. and pvc valve, little to no change. I now hear a more pronouced hiss from the back of the motor, deffinet vacuum leak. We'll see what I can find.

221k miles is a lot. If it's from the back of your motor it might be your intake manifold gaskets rotting out?

I would take your entire intake system, IM to the filter off, then reassemble inspecting everything.

I had 241K on my Zetec and it ran perfect. the Pre98s use a metal with rubber/silicone gasket for the intake manifold. check all the connections to the intake manifold, even the large plastic lines. there is one for the EVAP system that comes around from its solenoid into a T with the PCV valve. its wrapped in the corrugated wire wrap so it may be hard to tell if its leaking.

I had 241K on my Zetec and it ran perfect. the Pre98s use a metal with rubber/silicone gasket for the intake manifold. check all the connections to the intake manifold, even the large plastic lines. there is one for the EVAP system that comes around from its solenoid into a T with the PCV valve. its wrapped in the corrugated wire wrap so it may be hard to tell if its leaking.
That's the line. I saw it, It was completely GONE!. I'm going up to work to get new hose and replace it, i'm pretty sure thats the problem.

as for saying 221k is alot my other has 205 i bet on it daily, its a damn reliable motor and runs just like it did when i bought it.

Oh don't getting me wrong I'm not putting down the Zetec. I've seen lots of people pull 300k+ out of the Zetec. Just figured it might have been enough time for a gasket to rot out.

its still very possible. I didn't get time to get to replacing that hose but I'm pretty sure that's the problem. If it doesn't cure it i'm sure its the intake gasket.

Not a vacuum leak. They could cause problems at idle, and a lean condition at low to mid throttle, but never at WOT! Vacuum leaks become less apparent with increasing load. Fuel restrictions become MORE apparent with increasing load. Replace your fuel filter and check your pump, lines, regulator, and injectors.

Not a vacuum leak. They could cause problems at idle, and a lean condition at low to mid throttle, but never at WOT! Vacuum leaks become less apparent with increasing load. Fuel restrictions become MORE apparent with increasing load. Replace your fuel filter and check your pump, lines, regulator, and injectors.

You are basically describing how my engine runs. Every once in a while it will die at idle, sometimes bogs down at 1/2 throttle, but runs like a top at WOT. Do you think I have a vacuum leak? Would one of the scans for my CEL figure out what it is? Sorry to raise an old thread but this looks like it might help me.

Thanks, Connor

Collapsed exhaust or stopped up converter become more apparent with speed and load too.

Back