• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Starter motor

bloodredguitar89

New CEG'er
does anybody know how to easily remove the starter motor? i removed all three retaining bolts and now it's loose but i can't get it out its attached to a large wire coming straight from the battery terminal that i can't figure out where it disconnects and it keeps hitting on things underneath the car, its a 96 GL trim ATX

I know on '98 model the big wire attaches with a 13mm. nut. A smaller wire for starter switch has a 10 mm. nut. Need deep socket/ rachet and patience to remove as they are recessed inside that plastic insulator. Then you get to work the whole thing out. I'm assuming four cylinder. Check for melting wires around that insulator area, it gets real hot there.

There's really no trick to this, getting those 3 bolts for the start itself off is cake. But all the trouble enlies in the ones your trying to get off, they are in a horribly awkward spot.

Try going under the car like he said its your best shot at making it easier.

Yup, under the car only way to do it. Even then you can't see the socket go on nut because it's recessed. I feel up in there to tell which one the smaller, larger, and just stick socket in correct hole. That's why I wrote down nut sizes in my manual. At 100+ degrees in Texas, you only want to get it DONE AND OVER WITH.

Back