• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

chances of more damage than timing belt

xtascox

Hard-core CEG'er
Well my timing belt just broke the other day and it's at a shop now. I'm having them get the whole kit since they are gonna be in there anyway. I'm just worried about other damage to the motor since these are interference motors and all. The car belt went as I was driving and I did try to get it started back up while rolling, thinking it just stalled. What are the chances that there was damage to the valves or other parts? If so, how much do you think it will run me if there is more damage?

.01% chance of damage. These engines AREN'T INTERFERENCE! Tell the shop to get a clue because if they told you it is interference, they are WRONG. Contour/Mystique/Cougar >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Neon.

.01% chance of damage. These engines AREN'T INTERFERENCE! Tell the shop to get a clue because if they told you it is interference, they are WRONG. Contour/Mystique/Cougar >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Neon.

That's weird. My Chilton even says it's interference. But I guess you are right. I always thought they were NON interference and I was surprised when I read it. That takes a load of the shoulders though.

That's weird. My Chilton even says it's interference. But I guess you are right. I always thought they were NON interference and I was surprised when I read it. That takes a load of the shoulders though.
Chiltons, Haynes, Ford CD, Autozone, etc, they are all wrong. im not sure where that info was obtained originally but, as Zorrex said, the Zetec is a non-interferance engine.

Chiltons, Haynes, Ford CD, Autozone, etc, they are all wrong. im not sure where that info was obtained originally but, as Zorrex said, the Zetec is a non-interferance engine.

Good to know. Thanks guys. Looks like I'll have the car back before the end of the week!:laugh:

Just thought I'd mention that my friend who works at the shop called me today while he was test driving my car. He said that the compression was perfect so this kind of backs up the fact that they are non interference motors.

Back