• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

power stearing pump.new or used?

ztecfreddy

CEG'er
my power steering is starting to become weak. so I plan to replace it. I guess the million dollar question is, do I buy a new one or do i go the cheaper route and get one from a junk yard?

How many miles do you have on your car? IMO, I would say the higher the miles, the more you should look into getting a used one...

Like I have 70k on my car, so if my PS pump went I would get a new one... But if I had like 170k on my car I would get one from a junk yard :shrug:

Price new part then go to junkyard. Power steering pumps are a part that rarely go bad. There are parts that are very reliable from scrapyard, and then there are parts that should not be bought there at all. Pump is in the former category. Find a hopefully lower mileage one that doesn't look like jack the ripper owned it, and spin it to make sure not locked up. Try to find one where looks like car hood has been laying flat so no water got in it. Of course that all hinges on YOU taking it off, if Joe Blow does it, he will give you the one that's easiest for him to get, meaning probably the roughest one out there.

Back