• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil Pan Reseal

mcgarvey

Veteran CEG'er
I have a 3/2000 Zetec w/ ATX and it's developing a slight leak around the oil pan. Two quick questions for you guys. First, does the factory use a rubber gasket or RTV on the lower pan? And second, must the engine be raised to remove the pan? I'm sure the exhaust has to come down, but it looks like the edge of the pan at the front of the engine is totally blocked by the subframe. Just hoping to get some input from you guys. Thanks.

uses a one piece rubber gasket and yes you have to either raise the engine or loewr the subframe to remove the pan. the pan doesnt clear the subframe and the 1st main cap otherwise.

The factory uses RTV on the lower pan.

You won't even find a lower oil pan gasket. The advertised oil pan gasket is actually the windage tray gasket.

RTV works tit.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. That was what I was afraid of. I'll probably end up using an engine support bar, undoing the torque mounts, and lowering the whole subframe a few inches. Hopefully that will give me enough room. I'm not gonna rush to tackle this project, though.

Seems like a stupid design, albeit not an uncommon one. The 4x4 Toyota trucks I wrench on at work require that you drop the front diff to access the oil pan. Talk about stupid!

Try tightening them

Try tightening them

I hope you have tried tightening the bolts. If not try that. It completely stopped the leaks on my contour. Lucky me.

Back