• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hesitation and rough idle

rossta86

New CEG'er
Hello i have what i have researched to be a common problem with my 1995 Ford contour auto 4 cyl zetec. Once the car warms up, it idles rough and hesitates on initial acceleration. If the air conditioning is on, the car idles even worst and if using the air conditioning on long trips the car will die when it comes to a stop (back to idle) and will not start up for a few minutes. I have read the technical bulletin about replacing the MAF sensor. I have replaced it twice with rebuilt ones but the problem still persists. I had a former co worker who worked for a ford dealership for 15 years and is ASE master tech hook it up to his scanner and the MAF was still not reading full values. He told me to replace it but use a Genuine Ford Part. Has anyone ever experienced rebuilt MAFs from advance auto parts in my case not working correctly, where a ford MAF did work correctly? I forgot to mention i am getting the 181 lean code stored in the pcm memory also.

One more question, does anyone have the pinout diagram for psp switch, my wires have broken off and i need to know which spots the go in. Thanks - Ross.

I agree, but money is the issue right now, the aftermarket was 100 cheaper. If someone could tell me that the aftermarket MAF made no difference but the Ford part worked the in I would definetly spend the money. Thanks - Ross.

alwasy try a junk yard for a used maf ...

code 181 ... never came across that one before. might need an O2 sensor

Fix the PSP switch for sure, may help some of your idle troubles. PCM uses PSP switch output to control the idle in certain ways. No, I do not have the pinout. Are you sure that code 181 is not "rich at part throttle" instead of lean?? That's what I found on about 5 websites.............

Yea im heading to a junk yard soon to get the psp switch harness, but it will only affect idle when the steering wheel is turned so it is not the culprit. Im almost positive that code 181 is lean bank code, thats the way it came up on the snap on scanner and that is what i have found on the internet. Had it hooked up to a scanner yesterday, MAF is sending varying voltages as throttle increases just as it should, as are the o2's. Im going to pull the throttle body and IAC and clean them to see if that will make any difference. While doing so i will be checking for any vacum leaks. Also does any one know what the voltage output of the TPS should be at idle? Thanks - Ross.

"PSP switch only affects idle when steering turned" not necessarily true when there is no possible signal because harness not hooked up. Who knows what PCM inserts in there for values missing?

Back