• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Replace WP with Timing Belt?

Replace WP with Timing Belt?

• Replaced the water pump and have had no problems with it...

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Replaced the water pump and it has since failed on you...

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Did not replace the water pump and have had no problems with it...

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Did not replace the water pump and it has since failed on you...

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
Now was that the bearings on it or did it crack? I am thinking my sound would be more bearing than cracking...

Do not flame me for the two posts, I am too lazy to edit and forgot to multiquote, but I bet if I had just edited my first post it would have been quicker than typing out this huge explanation :crazy:

The pulley itself cracked and a chunk came out. One quarter of the pulley surface was totally gone.

as for the timing belt the pastic pulley wear and sometime split in half, mine was almost there at 104k ...

as for the water pump, the zetec one doesn't have the issues that the duratec does. I didn't replace mine .... and 100K later its still working fine .... as I knock on the fake wood my desk is made of :laugh:

sounds like a bearing to me. pull the serp. belt off and see if the noise is still there. if it is then it may be a timing belt pulley. if its not then you can start searching the accessories for which might have a bad bearing.

Back