• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A few things wrong...

Well the car has been sitting for awhile nothing changed. I'm going to replace the IAC because I believe that is the root to my problems. I can pick it up at Autozone for ~$50. I'm going to pick it up and install later today or tommorrow. And the weather is boiling outside so I dont want to do anything to it right now.

I finally found the IAC and well its nearly impossible to get to. I have the new one ready to install but the old one will be hard to get out. Ohsigmachi, could you tell me exactly how you managed to remove it?

Horray for triple post!

Another update, after an hour and 30 minutes the new IAC is installed. Unfortunately the hood light(a 95 thing) didnt turn off and was left on for a day and it drained my battery. So its charging right now and I'll will check it in a bit. I hope this will solve my problems.

Edit: Ok it still cuts out when I put it into Drive. Every other gear is fine, even the lower gears(1st and 2nd.) This only happens when the car is warmed up because I did take it for a quick drive around the neighborhood with no problems when it was cold. But it does seem the hard start-up us gone now.

Well now I need ideas.

Last edited:
Fixed!

Fixed!

I just want to update this thread to say what happend after the shotgun mechanics I did to fix the problem and what fixed it.

After the IAC was fixed I replaced the PVC, Spark plug wires, Air Filter, and cleaned the MAF and oil separator. My car ran for a good 20 miles and the same symptoms came back. I towed it to the local mechanics shop that I go to when I can't fix something. They replaced the spark plugs, checked the timing belt and timing (it didnt need replacing) and replace the MAF. Once the MAF was replaced all was well. I drove it to work without a hitch.

And just a reminder and to help search engines to find this fix my car had hesitation, surging, stuttering at acceleration. Also I was experiencing a stalling once I put it into drive, but I believe the new PVC valve and possible the fuel pump and filter cured that.

Back