• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

QUICK HELP FOR 99 ZETEC

Klasse Act

I pee with gloves on!
My co-worker has a 99' Zetec/auto and its shaking real bad at idle and its gotten worse. She took it to Autozone and it came up MAF, but it was taken to another place and all they found was the 02 sensor. She doesn't want to spend alot of money on the car, so what do you guys think it could be. BTW, the CEL was flashing, but now its just staying on again. The car has 120K on the clock and she replaced the plugs about 2 years ago. Thanks inadvance for the help:cool:

i would start by getting the codes read to make sure there is nothing stored other than the misfire code that will be there. i would then change the plugs and wires first.

With that many miles on it, the motor mounts may be shot. But its not cheap to replace at a machanics shop, close to $500 is what I had paid for mine back in the day.

Flashing CEL would indicated a misfire. Change plugs and wires. I'd be willing to wager money the roll restrictor is going out the window. This the mount that is located behind/under the radiator. You can see it if you look straight down between the exhaust heat shield and the radiator, slightly towards the driver's side. Check and see if the engine bounces around when it is fired up.

as others have said, also take a look at the motor mounts they could also be bad. Its an easy check for those. just look at the front or rear mounts. it should have alot of black rubber in it, if not, it is bad. :cool:

-goodluck

I had a problem close to this. Do you hear a hissing noise when the car is running? I had a leaking hose and it made my car shake and die at idle.

Hey...my nephew's contour is hissing like that too......what hose was leaking? it also has the crappy idle....runs fine after taking off...just bad at idle..

Back