• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Changing alternator, belt, etc. on a '95?

JohnHoward

CEG'er
How do i access the serpentine belt tensioner on a 1995 2.0 to get the belt off to change the alternator? Can't do it from underneath. No room on top either but at least I can SEE the tensioner. Should I remove the top right engine mount for better access? If I remove the nuts on top will the mount just pop off? Also, my Harbor Freight serpentine belt tool doesn't fit on the recessed bolt head on the tensioner in order to relieve the spring tension. Not enough clearance. What is the best tool to use on a '95 model? What do you guys use?

Thanks Jeff. That post refers ro a '99 model. My '95 is built different. There's frame or bodywork stuff in the way even with the plastic wheel liner off. Youtube shows guys accessing the tensioner from below on later models but on the '95 it's hidden from below. I haven't found any ref to a '95. Would anyone have the Ford service manual for a '95 2.0 Contour that explains how Ford suggests doing this job on a 1995 model? Thanks!

Two things I found out. There's a second smaller plastic cover underneath that I didn't see before. With that off I can access the tensioner. Duh! Also I found a very good deal on the factory Contour service manual on ebay and ordered it.

Back