• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

diff question

svtguy27

CEG'er
Does the speed gear just swap out when you put in a torsen or do you have to put in a new one? I tried to get a new one but the parts guy said they had different ratios and that the old one would have to be seen. Was he just full of it?

yes you need to swap the speedo gear as it isn't available any more.

don't forget to check clearences, etc as you go to install the new diff.

I sort of understood this question but not really. It made me think of something else tho (might be the same thing)

when someone does the Zetec Final Drive swap from 4.06 to 3.80. Does the VSS sensor haft to be swapped or is it the same for zetec and duratec

Contour Zetec

pretty sure the Focus Zetec uses the 3.84 FD as well, if they didnt why would some of them do the 4.06 FD swap.

The biggest thing is making sure you get the setup for the same style output shaft as the trans you are doing the conversion too.

pretty sure the Focus Zetec uses the 3.84 FD as well, if they didnt why would some of them do the 4.06 FD swap.

The biggest thing is making sure you get the setup for the same style output shaft as the trans you are doing the conversion too.

quoted for truth...

there's also a 3.5X ratio you can get for the newer style shafts

Back