• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New to the Site With a BIG Problem

mustang95

CEG'er
I've been lurking around on here for a while but now I have a huge problem. I have a '98 CSVT that will not go into any gear. I know the clutch disk is separating from the flywheel because up untill yesterday the car was fine. I crawled under it to see what was wrong and I found that there was a problem where the shifter cable goes into the trans. I can see a small "pin" where it looks like there was a sleeve of some sort on there so the shifter would do something.

When the mods let me post pictures I will do so...

Welcome.

Are you referring to this?...
CIMG0884.jpg

and this connecting?
CIMG0883.jpg

Usually the grommet falls out and it just gives you lots of play in the shifter.

You cant just buy a grommett, you have to buy the end link and they are fairly cheap, but till you get that you can zip tie it on there, it wont be pretty and you will have to granny it but it will work.

see this thread: http://contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=34064&page=2

If its the rubber part just take it out and put on a ziptie (extra tight) at the end for a quick fix.. From that link up there just order the part that starts with the Z.. its the whole white piece but I recommend if its only the rubber part just order the part and only change out the rubber bushing.

:censored::censored::censored::censored: i'd even leave on the ziptie if its tight enough heh.. I had it on mine for a couple days and it worked fine but yea be easy just in case. Part from ford is like 12 bucks maybe 14 bucks..

yeah just wait till you have a problem to join us. Cant anyone ever join just to say hello.... Just kidding.

Arent you glad it was a simple fix?

I know this took me forever to respond to, but does anyone know the part number for the end link or what parts store has them?

Breakdown:
Cable ends for stock MTX75 transmission from 1998 to 04/01/1999,
F7RZ-7412-AA (WHITE)
XS8Z-7412-GA (BLACK)
If you add a Focus Tower with old style cables,
YS4Z-7412-HA (WHITE)
YS4Z-7412-JA (BLACK)
If you add a Focus tower with newer style cables,
2S4Z-7412-AA (WHITE)
2S4Z-7412-BA (BLACK)

If you have a 04/01/1999 to 2002 Contour/Cougar with a stock cable, the ends only come with a new cable.

From this thread: http://contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=25571&highlight=Cable+Ends

ok so i got the parts and installed them but now i cant get the car into gear. i spent about an hour adjusting it but i still get nothing. andbody have any tips on adjusting it?

read my other post. I had the same problem. I hope the car is jacked up kinda high. What I did was first get the rod in the end as far as possible (I heard the shifter move while I was doing this) Then checked to see where the shifter sat. Then I remember it was in neutral or maybe 3rd, then i got back underneath the car and move the white piece over to the left as far as possible, then had to push the rod in a little more and the orange thing either popped out or it wouldnt go in any more. Either way when u finally get it in, make sure the orange button is popped out so it holds it.

If you still having trouble i'd just have ur dad go through each gear while u sit underneath the car and when/if the rod is coming loose or coming out just push it back in as tight as u can. U kno u got it when ur dad feels the firmness back in the shifter. O and make sure when u move the rod back and forth, hold the orange button in as far as possible. when you know its in release it to hold it

Now I'm really getting fed-up with the car...
I got the new cable ends on. I attempted to adjust it, I spent about 3 hours trying to get the thing to go into just one gear. Still nothing. So I'm thinking I may just sell the car in the condition its in and find something newer or take it to a dealer and tell them to fix it. I really don't have the money to spend to fix it, and I have a feeling its a trans problem. So unless someone has an idea on how to get it to work, the car is for sale.

So the shift doesnt feel like it is going into first?

or

When you put it in first and you let the clutch out, nothing happens.

dude search threads or re-read what was written. Its def an adjustment problem with the cable and the cable end.

Are u able to move into each gear now? or does it just move back and forth?

The shifter just moves around... If I try putting it into first the shifter just slides over as if it were in 3rd, same with 5th. If I try putting it into second, the shifter moves as if it were in 4th.

With the car off try moving one of the rods(with your hands) to see if it goes into gear.

If it does go into gear with the car off, your clutch or TOB is shot/gone/kaput/finished

If it does not go into gear, more then likely your shift tower bolt snapped

Back