• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clutch chatter while driving?

BDPSVT

New CEG'er
Hey I hear the chattering while driving while the engine is warm. Is there an issue I should be aware of. Is it a gear oil issue. 70000 miles and a new clutch with 1000 miles on it. Just noticed it yesterday. Sound goes away when the clutch is pressed in. Any help is appreciated

I take it this is when the transmission is in neutral? That typically would be gear roll over noise, and is often normal.

BTW clutch chatter is not a sound, its when the clutch doesn't engage perfectly smoothly and is a vibration.

Thanks for the response but no. I hear the noise while driving and only while in gear. Nothing in neutral. Sounds like broken bolts while driving

You know it's funny. The car drives perfectly like when it was new. The shifts are great and smooth. It's just this sound I hear while driving that worries me. And it's only while driving. Nothing at idle. Makes me think something is going to give out and I'm not interested in getting stranded

Now that I think of it, It just sounds very mechanical like the teeth of a gear spinning without oil. I tell ya after 17 years maybe I'm just expecting to much

I would assume he changed the oil. The clutch has a 1k miles on it. Sounds like gear rollover.

Hey guys and girls. This “gear rollover noise” is reall no joke. Has gotten louder. It’s louder than my friends diesel tow truck. Spoke to the mechanic who changed the clutch a little while back and at first he said they used mustang gear oil then wasn’t even sure the oil was changed. He’s a good guy and told me to drop it off. Could it be anything else other than oil? The car stalled twice today for no reason. Could it be related? Any help would be appreciated. Want to be ready when I drop it off

Back