• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How do I remove the shift tower?

Swami

CEG'er
I searched all of the archives and could not find anything. Do I have to get under the car? The brass bolts on the top have smooth heads. Am I missing something?

.I removed the console and the four torx screws.

Am trying to install a ST shifter.

Just went to check it - and, of course, you are right! I though t I needed to remove the base, but not so. The tower was just in a bit tight.

​Hopefully will finish tomorrow. Jumping ahead, how do I adjust the cables after install?

Thanks for your help!

You don't adjust the cables at the shifter end...but at the trans end. There's a tool that you're supposed to use that holds the shifter in neutral and centered...but you can get by with a buddy holding it in that position.

Place the car in neutral and have buddy hold shifter centered as best as possible
Go under the car (properly with ramps/jack stands and block behind rear tire)
Locate the cable ends where they attach to the trans
Pull (I believe) the orange lock tabs out (but don't remove), which allows the cable to move back and forth (as you release the orange clip, there may be some slight movement)
With the shifter centered, the trans in neutral, and the orange lock clips released, move the cable end back and forth a bit until you are satisfied that its not under tension (pushing or pulling on the lever) while the trans is in neutral and shifter centered
Once satisfied, push the orange lock clip back on all the way
Done

If either attachment to the trans is missing the bushing the slides onto the arm (common), you'll need to come back on here and search for remedies.

Pull (I believe) the orange lock tabs out (but don't remove), which allows the cable to move back and forth (as you release the orange clip, there may be some slight movement)

Depends on what style cable end the car has. Generally a pre 2k car has the replaceable ends and they are adjusted by pressing the orange button on the end to release it. From my understanding the later, non-replaceable style the orange tab is pulled out or removed to release the cable end.

I need to be spoon-fed one more time. Both cables are disconnected and now I am trying to remove the rubber cover over the plastic pieces encompassing the ball. I have it in neutral and pull up exposing about 3/4" of the rubber protector. I have twisted, pulled and pried with screwdrivers and got nowhere. I am afraid if I use any more force I will tear it. So what is the trick?

It would be helpful if you could provide a picture of exactly where/what you are pulling/twisting....

No Title

According to the archived instructions on this website, it says to pull up the ridged rubber piece in the center of the photo to expose the plastic ball underneath.

Am I supposed to pop off the ball on the upper right of the shift tower? I tried half-heartedly, but once again don't want to break anything.

Attachments

• photo16561.jpg
    photo16561.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
No Title

You have the new style shifter tower. You do need to pull up on the shifter to remove the ridged rubber piece (there's a plastic piece inside which encapsulates the shifter ball). The problem is getting enough clearance for the upper arm to slide out of the part I circled in red on the right side. That would be easy if you could remove the clip I circled on the left side...and slide the entire pin/arm to the right to free the upper shifter arm. I could not get that clip off, and the Ford Dealer was no help either. I ended up bending the arm out enough to slide the shifter up and back to the left to free up the arm. I'm sure someone on here knows how to remove that clip...it would make the job a breeze. I would not recommend the bend method I used.

Hopefully someone chimes in...

Attachments

• photo16562.jpg
    photo16562.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • photo16563.jpg
    photo16563.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 3
IIRC one can use a 10mm socket to push that little tabs on the plastic clip out so that it releases. Be carful as they can break easily and I don't think any replacements are available.

IIRC one can use a 10mm socket to push that little tabs on the plastic clip out so that it releases. Be carful as they can break easily and I don't think any replacements are available.

You put the hex on me as I snapped one of the tabs.

Got her back together and took her for a test drive. Very nice solid shifts. Was almost home and I could not put the clutch in. Uh oh! It felt like something was behind clutch pedal, but I had cleaned up all my tools and such. Did I screw up the clutch or tranny? I pulled over. The fuse box had popped open and was stuck behind the clutch pedal. Doh! It would not close, so I have yet another minor project for tomorrow, but at least no transmission problems.

No Title

One final question (I hope). This should be a no-brainer, but I am stumped. On the Ford Restraint Module, where does the black & orange 8 pin connector plug into?

Attachments

• photo16564.JPG
    photo16564.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Put it all back together and drove to a restaurant. Came out and - no reverse! Took the console apart (UGH!) in the dark in the lot in nice dress clothes.

​The plastic retainer with the broken finger did not hold. After repeatedly driving FORWARD onto the concrete stop messing up my four days of work on the front bumper, I finally got it into reverse and limped home. Will have to jury-rig some sort of more solid retainer/C-clip. Any suggestions?

Noticed that the fog lights and heater fan no longer work and lost a tire jack cover on the drive - even with a HD tie wrap holding it on in case it fell off. No relationship to shifter repair (can't see how), just things going wrong all at the same time.

Moral of the story: Stock shifter was working perfectly fine and I should have left it alone.

Here is my ghetto fix for the plastic locking retainer with the broken fingers: going to wrap several dozen times with heavy duty (not thick) thread, tie off and seal with Gorilla Super Glue.

Back