• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clutch bleeding please help

kristiyano

CEG'er
Ok, i changed the clutch and im trying to bleed it, there is no resistance in the clutch pedal. ive bled it for the past hour, in the beginning some break fluid came out and after that nothing but small puffs of air. break pedal feals fine. I started the car while it was still jacked up and the gears go in fine so i guess it engages and ive tryed that after an hour of bleeding and the gears cant go in. Any suggestions?

How are you bleeding it? With a tool? Or with someone pushing on the clutch while you open the bleed valve?

What you should be doing if you are doing it manually is, have some one depress the clutch and then you open the valve while their foot is all the way down on the floor. You then close the valve before they release their foot, otherwise the slave cylinder will suck in air from the valve if it is still open when their foot comes off of the clutch.

You repeat this process until the clutch fluid runs without any bubbles. Make sure you keep enough fluid in the fluid reservoir.

If you are bleeding it properly, and you don't see fluid coming out, then there is something wrong with the slave cylinder.

We are doing it manualy and we did everything right. The slave cyinder is brand new i dont know if the problem is that, i hope the slave cylinder is fine, i would be deeply depressed if that is the problem.

A MityVac vacuum pump would probably help. You might be OK once you get fluid where it belongs.

I don't know if it is essentual for the clutch master, but it is essentual for the brake master to bench bleed it before installing it. If you don't you may pump the pedal forever and get nowhere.

Try pumping the pedal a bunch of times and then holding it down while you open the bleed valve. Or as Big Jim said, a mityvac or pressure bleeder would definitely help. It really does sound like there is just a problem with the bleeding process, not a mechanic issue.

Back