• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

tune for port matched 3.0 cat delete

svtfixer

Veteran CEG'er
need some advice help here.

bought custom headers from nautilius a little while back and put them on before noticing they didint include a front 02 sensor. talked to them forever ago and they said it should be tuned out anyways with no cats in the manifolds. anyways, they have sort of dumped alot of the contour stuff or at least arent handling the business promptly or at all.

im past inspection this point and need a tune mainly maybe only for the o2 sensor issue. anyone point me in the direction of a tune or remedy?

ive got tunes for my early 98 but with different injectors, once supercharged and now gone na temporarily as well as other mods so it probably wont translate at all. anyone have a mid 98 file for a port matched 3l w cat delete to get me by? is this a possibility?

i use the xcal handled w livelink.

why not just weld in an O2 sensor bung?

tuning it out will make them not ready in the inspection... which could pose a problem if you have more than the allowable "not readys"

AEM makes a clamp on O2 sensor bung for exhausts, but not sure how small diameter they make them for. just drill a hole, clamp it on, and install O2 sensor.
might be a good temp solution for you if they make the right size...

or drive up to my place with a steel O2 sensor bung, and I'll weld it in for you real quick.
i still have those cooling fans for you and some other random stuff you might want :)

once the lower O2 sensor is installed a mil-eliminator will need to be installed also.

To answer your question, you would need a tune for the same PCM code. Then you would need an xcal to load the tune.

ive passed with not readys before and no mil eliminators on the sc car. i had a similar setup. headers w no cats, no mils and it only showed 1 not ready. i actually have a set of racebits headers which might be easier/cheeaper to just swap it out since i already have the gaskets and everything.

ive got an xcal i was using on the sc car. no tunes for 19 pound injectors anymore. i have read that the trick is to return the car w the tunes on it to stock and then i can link it to the second car w the different pcm code to avoid getting a second handheld. ive got a folder w the zillions of tunes ive been mailed in the past, im ok w reloading the xcal to jump back and forth.

ive kept the car fairly local since its build. ive only had 1 oil change at a few hundred miles and been picking away at every single thing that needs to be changed on it. now i need inspection to venture further. got the bs temp tag on it past due.

racebits is in. still getting p0171 system too lean. the description for the mil eliminators is "eliminates check engine code for gutted precats". this is the said code?

That is a different code. The MIL eliminators are specifically to address P0420 and P0430, "Catalyst below efficiency", bank one or bank two.

Lean codes are usually from vacuum leaks, most often intake manifold gaskets. There are about a dozen other possible causes, but that's the most common.

okay thanks. see! still dont get the checks because of the no cats. amazing

yeah i hooked up a vacuum gauge to check the vacuum and it i had like 17 pounds consistantly. intermittent leak apparantly. i just put new intake manifold gaskets both lower and upper on it attempt to rule it out. still leaking somewhere apparantly. what im not sure of is the crappy pcv oil separator gasket. cant find solution for a replacement. these vacuum leaks are the worst. gonna try to find someone local w a smoke tester.

Valve cover vents, PCV, EGR gasket, throttle body gasket; there are so many spots for leaks. I have also seen the lower intake manifold leak where the rods for the butterflies go through the casting. Rare occurrence, but it happens.

the pcv is such a headache. i feel like its always leaking. i keep good gaskets on it mostly always. the only one i cant get a new one for is the ••••ty oil separator.

valve cover breathers i always try to use a clamp but it gets od. the vacuum lines behind the manifold are the same way. they just sit and hopefully dont leak. cant be too sure.

the oil seperator gaskets are still available and up until last year were still used for a block-off plate. its under 10 bucks and 1 fits all.

correction. fords got em and now i remember ive gotten them from them before. i think the gaskets are new on the car.

to catch up on this car i got a new oil separator gasket, pcv tube, pcv valve, smoke tested the thing and had a few leaks. one was the upper intake manifold being pulled up from the egr not fitting well, one was the iac gasket (the little paper thing). nautilius custom rear header still on and the egr inlet is not perfect (front was removed due to no 02 sensor and absolutely no support from them) more problems with nautilius parts. i switched egr pipes, same problem, ended up bending one to make it fit properly. pretty much everything ive ever gotten for them has to be reengineered to make work. this was the biggest pain in the ass so far.

car passed emissions and runs really well, still untuned.

in any event: im in search for a good smoke tester now. after using the machine its a must have around the garage. things are pricey, im looking at the redline total tech, little under 700 bucks.

anyone use a smoke tester around the shop? reccomend one? i dont think it gets much cheaper new for one. these things seem to rarely hit the used market. everyone looks like they hang on to them.

in any event: im in search for a good smoke tester now. after using the machine its a must have around the garage. things are pricey, im looking at the redline total tech, little under 700 bucks.

anyone use a smoke tester around the shop? reccomend one? i dont think it gets much cheaper new for one. these things seem to rarely hit the used market. everyone looks like they hang on to them.

Works like a champ, mine is almost identicle but I welded nuts to the top of the paint can and threaded in the hose barbs.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=461116

yeah i agree. after seeing it. a must have.

i looked around the net for home made and seen something like this. how does that one make smoke. i see a fog machine on top of the car.

yeah i agree. after seeing it. a must have.

i looked around the net for home made and seen something like this. how does that one make smoke. i see a fog machine on top of the car.

The one I posted makes smoke by you burning something inside the can and feeding the fire o2 with your compressor.

i tried the cheap fog machine, it didnt seem like it got hot enough to make enough smoke. i also tried to use baby oil with it and it was more liquidy than smokey. the legit machines use baby oil. i accidentally spilled some of it and it still left a bit of a stain. not really any sensors where im testing but thats kind of sketchy. oil vapors are recirculated normally w the valve breathers so i guess its okay.

im still on the lookout for an actual automotive diagnostics machine.

Back