• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Getting Desperate for Some Help....No Fuel Injector Pulse

TennTechMan

CEG'er
If you've been following any of my recent threads, you'd know I'm transplanting a SVTC drivetrain to the rear of a 1991 5-door Geo Metro. The car is nearly complete, and we're having some trouble getting it started for the first time.

During cranking, we are getting spark at the spark plugs, but NO fuel injector pulses.

While testing and diagnosing, we have an incandescent bulb (tail light socket and pigtail) connected to the injector pigtail. That would show a flicker if the fuel injector was pulsing, correct?

We checked for continuity between the injector pigtail and the corresponding pin on the ECU plug, so there are no wire problems between the two. The positive 12V wire in the injector pigtail has positive 12V on it any time the key (ignition) is on.

The fuel pump is now connected to the Contour harness so that it is controlled by the ECU. When you turn the ignition to the on position, you don't hear the typical 2 seconds of fuel pump running. Instead, it's two short pulses. I'm not sure if that is important to diagnosing the problem or not.

What controls fuel injector timing? What controls spark timing? I expected that both were controlled by the same components.

PATS is turned off in the ECU, and we're seeing spark. So, I don't think it is the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Confirmed tonight. PATS is still the issue. Kudos to Ford for making these cars difficult to steal. I'm wishing now though that they had done a slightly less good job.

The car is now running on a reprogrammed Gen 4 Mark VIII ECU. At one point the PATS light was indicating that everything was OK, but still no injector pulsing. So we punted on the SFG0 ECU.

Back