• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wide band location help

SVOFANATIC

Veteran CEG'er
As I will soon tune my 3L I figure this is the better place for this.

I'm curious where I need to locate my Wide band AFR sensor in my exhaust. I know on all vehicles that you need to put it 6-12in from any type of a disruption in flow BUT you all have a single tail pipe which means you can put it before the resonator...... My car has True Duals so do I just put it after the X pipe? So that way I know the front and rear banks have mixed creating an equal flow? I don't wanna run two sensors and putting it at the header before the X means that the wide band will only be reading what 1 bank is doing.

Thanks for any help
Justin

X2, the only real correct place is right where header tubes come together in collector. You want the mix you're reading good and hot also way early in system to avoid possible misreading pipe leaks. You can switch sides as he says or simply understand that close to correct on one side means other same way, engine performance will tell you if you're very far off there. Notice where all upstream O2s are placed in standard cars, that's for good reason. If measuring on the fly your changes will show up much more early in pipe too, more volume later in pipe allows what's there to dilute any change made like rpm or load.

Well I can put it right after the X pipe and that will give me a good mix I would put in in the actual X pipe but I don't think there's room for it there.

Doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Weld another bung in right after one of the collectors and use it. No need to switch back and forth. If there is a problem that will make the front or rear bank that different you will know about it.

The sensor also has to be installed into the top side of the tube so moisture that can collect at the bottom of the tube doesn't damage the sensor. That makes install locations a bit harder to find.

I put mine in my test pipe just behind the flange where the cat we have bolted up to. It's further away from the engine, but the sensor was near vertical and was in a straight section of the exhaust with little turbulence.

I've since sold that test pipe. So I'll be welding in a new bung with the turbo installation.

Back