• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

O2s and Cat Monitors?

Teebs

CEG'er
I currently have 2 of my O2 sensors turned off in my tune due to my MSDS headers. Emissions testing is switching over to OBD II testing here and sounds like they will be looking for Readiness Monitors, such as EGR, Cats, Etc...

By disabling these O2s I don't think my Cat monitors are showing a ready state correct?

Just trying to plan ahead...

no. im pretty sure they are just "not available". or the other words they use for "didnt come on the car"
but i could be wrong

no. im pretty sure they are just "not available". or the other words they use for "didnt come on the car"
but i could be wrong

The O2s do show up, they just don't show a value. I had my car at the shop a few days ago and they had their diagnostics tool hooked up showing O2s were present, but not showing any value. And if I'm correct and the cat monitors use those O2s, then it's likely showing a "Not ready" status. Meaning automatic failure on our emissions testing here...

yep. sounds like it buddy.
you should get in contact with your tuner and se if he can for free turn them off and resend it to you. my basterd tuner wouldnt do that

I'm not sure you can just turn the monitors off without them knowing... If the emissions computer interrogates the OBD II computer and knows that there's suppose to be a catalyst monitor for the front banks than it would fail as well...

Would O2 simulators or MILs solve this? They just leave the O2s on and correct the reading for the missing cats correct?

yes I do believe that is the lower O2 sensors are off or not working the readiness test will not complete. Check your state rules but you might be able to pass without all readyness tests complete. However with them inabled with mil-eliminators you should be able to pass without and issue.

Turn your O2 sensors back on. Then all you really need to do is purchase either MIL eliminators or O2 sensor spacers/extensions. You'll probably need the 90deg ones since the front header is so close to the radiator. I think the spacer will be cheaper for you...

Link

CELFIX-2.jpg

I once passed inspection with my rear o2 covered in heat wrapped, outside of the exhaust. Just food for thought, may get you by.

Back