• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stock Abilitiy

DocStruthers

Veteran CEG'er
What can our stock computers handle?
I know it's best to get a standalone or at least a good piggyback.

But like I said. . . what can they handle?

I have a 99 CSVT.

Say I rebuilt the engine.

3.0 Block
2.5 svt for the rest
port n polsih heads (minor) more of a good cleaning and polish, SLIGHT port work
bigger TB, what the 65mm? (the mustang tb that's so common)
much better flowing exhaust

plus as far as I know my compression will go up with the block/heads combo.

Would the stock pcm be able to handle this?

I would say yes but hey I dunno that's why I ask!

I'm trying to figure what to do.

total engine swap or a semi built hybrid . . . . :shrug:

Do you mean the stock tune, not PCM? What do you mean by "handle"? Will it start and run or will you gain anything from it? Your question is a little confusing.

Do you mean the stock tune, not PCM? What do you mean by "handle"? Will it start and run or will you gain anything from it? Your question is a little confusing.

Sorry I usually post confusing things.

From thread description it says PCM Powertrain Control Module. aka ECU?

Yes the stock tune that comes with the vehicle. Original ECU/PCM!?

Does it have any adaptibility? Will it adjust somewhat for more air and fuel (very little) or would I really need another PCM/ECU?

Is it even the same damn thing?

The title PCM confuses me.

Hope I make more sense now if not i'll ban myself.

Thanks for responding though.

The "stock" tune has some adjust-ability/learning capabilities built in. A lot of 3L swapped guys are running the stock tune, and while it isn't best or recommended, it technically works.

The "stock" PCM/ECU can handle just about anything with a proper tune. That can be done by either a dyno tune from a shop (if they have the required software to tune these cars), or by an email tune from Joey (NPG).

Hope that helps a little bit

It does! Thank you.

How would/could I do my own tune with a programmer (SCT? and..?) or burn a tune from Joey?

you dont.
if you have to ask, or are confused by titles you're better off leaving it alone and just having a shop do it.

He can't tune the car himself but he should have no problem installing a NPG tune with an XCal3 by himself. Just plug into the OBD2 port and follow the directions on the handheld.

I don't know about an N/A tune but there is alot more work with loading an NPG tune then just flashing the pcm. Once the pcm is flashed with the xcal datalogging needs to be done so that the tune can be finalized.

I recall a dyno meet where someone had not done the datalogging for a better tune. I used the xcal to increase WOT fuel and the car picked up alot of power.

and if one springs for the pro racer package with an xcal they can tune the car themselves. but the last I heard the software was over $600 with the xcal.

you dont.
if you have to ask, or are confused by titles you're better off leaving it alone and just having a shop do it.
I am asking to learn not to get suggestions on what to do.

Is data logging required by the software or is it just a good idea more or less?
Is it used by the person programming parameters as reference on the next set of adjustments?

That pro racer package is impressive. it's price is not. :(

I am asking to learn not to get suggestions on what to do.

Is data logging required by the software or is it just a good idea more or less?
Is it used by the person programming parameters as reference on the next set of adjustments?

That pro racer package is impressive. it's price is not. :(

If you want your car running properly, and your not going to take it into a shop to have it tuned... and your going to go with a mail order tune from NPG, then yes you will need to datalog the car. Plan on purchasing the following components...

PCM programmer/tuner (I would recommend the SCT Xcal3, ~$279)
Wideband Controller and Gauge ( I would recommend Innovate Motorsports LC-1, ~$170 new on eBay)

IF you wanted to tune it yourself then you would need to purchase software that had the ability to create flash files. I would recommend SCT's ProRacer Package, which includes a dongle and AdvantageIII software. This runs about $349, but will allow you to do anything you want with the PCM. Now that said the only problem you may run into if you get in deep with your Contour modifications is the ECM's ability to drive certain components. I'm starting to run into this now, but I think this may be way beyond what you'll be doing so you will be perfectly fine IMO.

My overall recommendation to you would be to contact Joey at NPG and talk to him on the phone. He'll most likely set you up with a Xcal3 maybe some type of windband controller and then get you a tune based on your modifications. 2-3 datalogs later and he'll have your tune dialed in and your car will be running good. Hope that helps. If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask, but NPG is a good place for you to start.

Last edited:
I have an 03 Escape 3L with 01-02 Cougar 2.5 heads, SVT cams, SVT LIM & UIM, optimized SVT TB, AEM short ram intake, MSDS Y pipe, and punched out rear cat. Still all on the stock SVT tune. Car runs great. Just has a minor bucking at lower RPMs if im on it about 1/4 throttle. If i let off or punch it, it goes away.

Back