• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

VIN stored in ECU

Blackcoog

Hard-core CEG'er
Is the VIN number stored in the ECU. Someone from CA was telling me they can't swap ECU's because the emissions testing will detect that the ECU has a different VIN number. Is this correct?

I am not 100% possitive. I have passed CT emissions with a different ECU for a few years now and it has never been an issue. I know when a friend got his car dyno tuned that the shop said that they could go in and change the VIN in the ECU to prevent any issues. I'm not sure if they actually had to do it for him or not.

The VIN is stored in the PCM for sure. I know CA is picky about stuff like that and I have heard that the state hookups can scan for tunes or something like that.

I can say that in NY we have to pass a plug-in diagnostic but even when I had my SVT engine swapped 99 cougar with a 98 SVTC computer that it passed with no issues. That not only had the wrong VIN but also the wrong vehicle in the description.

So, what they are saying may very well be correct...

Back