• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

FYI for those wanting to go FI

stilov

CEG'er
There are 2 ADC kits for sale on the old classifieds...one brand new and the other slightly used...not my kits...just sharing.

For the price of the used one...that is the route I would take if I had to do it over again.

stop ruining the fun a sale is pending on the slightly used kit. It will soon be mine. now shhhhh.

I also looked at the used kit, but have since backed out... a 2.5L turbo kit to work on a 3L requires changing the following items:

turbo (upgrade to t3/t4)
cold side piping (need to go larger)
intercooler (need to go larger)
blow off vale (need to go larger)
even the tuned chip needs to be re-tuned.

All you end up using is the hot side piping, injectors, resevoir tank, pump, and a few fittings and lines. Not worth it.

Not all necessarily true. The chip, intake piping and intercooler will all work fine on a 3L if you use them wisely.

Remember, it is about CFM flow rates not directly about engine size. 500 cfm on a 2.5L is still 500cfm on a 3L. The 3L is just able to move more air at the same boost level as a 2.5L.

So say instead of being able to run 14psi on a 2.5L you would move it to a 3L and only able to run 10psi on it. The flow rate might be exactly the same, as well as the power output.

The point being you could use the kit and use the stuff and just keep your head about you and run moderate boost until you can upgrade all of those parts and attain the power levels you wish.

The chip fits the same pcm and you run the same injectors and maf, then it will be fine. If you change one then you would need those features changed but the rest of the tune will work fine.

So it might be wise to buy a 2.5L kit and adapt it over time if the money was right.

The used kit is mine. Its being shipped to me as we speak. I plan to do just as warmonger states. I will install the kit and upgrade over time.

Not all necessarily true. The chip, intake piping and intercooler will all work fine on a 3L if you use them wisely.

Remember, it is about CFM flow rates not directly about engine size. 500 cfm on a 2.5L is still 500cfm on a 3L. The 3L is just able to move more air at the same boost level as a 2.5L.

So say instead of being able to run 14psi on a 2.5L you would move it to a 3L and only able to run 10psi on it. The flow rate might be exactly the same, as well as the power output.

The point being you could use the kit and use the stuff and just keep your head about you and run moderate boost until you can upgrade all of those parts and attain the power levels you wish.

The chip fits the same pcm and you run the same injectors and maf, then it will be fine. If you change one then you would need those features changed but the rest of the tune will work fine.

So it might be wise to buy a 2.5L kit and adapt it over time if the money was right.

Yes I agree it can be used out of the box and will work, but it will not work optimum as you pointed out, and to get it to work optimum with a 3L requires over half the kit be redone. That's alot of money being thrown out the window.

There is a reason why ADC made a different version of the kit for the 3L, and I don't think anyone has more research in putting a turbo on our engines than they do.

Yes I agree it can be used out of the box and will work, but it will not work optimum as you pointed out, and to get it to work optimum with a 3L requires over half the kit be redone. That's alot of money being thrown out the window.

There is a reason why ADC made a different version of the kit for the 3L, and I don't think anyone has more research in putting a turbo on our engines than they do.

You're wrong....Tom has done far more research than ADC.

Funny, I put the First and Second 3L turbo to work. :idea:
I also took it to streetflight for him to help me tune it in 2003. That was the first time they saw the bigger T3/4 installed into a turbo'd tour setup and it influenced them accordingly.

I did the turbo location placement, the intake piping routing, etc and showed how to pack all that hardware into one area.

Props to ADC for starting the conversion to turbo tours, but I take my own props for being to first to take the plunge and design the turbo 3L setup not once, but 3 different times with improvements every time! :cool: We all borrowed little bits off of each other though so no one is 100% responsible by themselves. Chris Drebes deserves a lot of credit too as he helped me with purchasing my turbo and with tunes later on.
Just to give you a sense of TIME, I built a 3L hybrid in year 2000, end of december it was on the road.
I built the first 3L turbo in early 2003.
I ran 3L turbo'd in my car for almost 3 years. How's that for reliability and design success?? :cool:

But enough about me, lets talk about Your 3L turbo...............

Back